Hand, foot, and mouth disease (coxsackie virus)

iVillage Member
Hand, foot, and mouth disease (coxsackie virus)
Tue, 07-17-2012 - 11:10pm

And what an awful name for that virus, anyway. Here's what happened: James ate some of my thyroid pills, and then his toes started breaking out in actual blisters! He has food allergies, and I found out there's a trace amount of one of his allergens, in my pills. 

After determining he wasn't in some kind of medical emergency, got the callback from the doc and it all added up: the 3 days each of severe sore throats, no appetite, sleeping all day, and high fever for each of my older kids, then 2 days before the blisters, James also had the fever and had no appetite and was fussy.

Verdict? the weird toe blisters came up after his eating my pills (which didn't hurt him, according to poison control), by coincidence. The blisters just happened to come up then, but they were Hand, foot, and mouth disease all along. 

My older kids never had blister rashes, but that's also pretty common...about half of kids don't, I guess. So there you go. Mystery solved, it was a minor, self-limiting, viral illness. Whew!

But all the docs and other parents say, it's really making the rounds right now, so whereas it's not normally a cause for alarm, it is a cause for being aware of symptoms. Anyone else have a story to tell about the hand-foot-mouth disease?

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

<a href="http://lilypie.com

iVillage Member
I have no natural immunity to HFM, I get it constantly! It's horrible! But I only get it in the back of my throat. I hope your kids heal up quickly!
iVillage Member

That's terrible! Did they say why you don't build up immunity to it even after multiple exposures? It sounds awful. 

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

<a href="http://lilypie.com

iVillage Member

Well right before I had my newest, in June, Caitlynn my snowpea broke out in blisters, in her peri area, on her feet, her hands and there was one little spot on her cheek.  I took her to the doctor and they said it was classic for chicken pox.  I don't know that I have ever really agreed with the doc and I think she actually had hand, foot and mouth disease.  Chicken pox they say you get mainly on your trunk, back, chest and abdomen.  Wouldn't seem more like hand foot and mouth if she actually got the blisters on her hands and feet?  She had no blisters/scabs on her abdomen, back or chest.  She did develop some on her legs but that's as far up as it got.  Through my research online and in my pediatric nursing books she didn't have the mouth sores that are so common with hand foot and mouth.  So that's what keeps me thinking maybe it was chicken pox.  I do know she was vaccinated for chicken pox her first dose at 12 months but won't get the booster until 5 years.  After it was all done her toenails started to peel away too!!!  It was awful!  She knew something was going on with her feet because she would hold her feet up and say "oohhhh"  lol  She is fine now other than still struggling to get her to sleep at night which I am hoping she will outgrow soon, I don't know how much more I can take!

Photobucket