holiday appointments...ugh!

iVillage Member
holiday appointments...ugh!
Tue, 12-21-2010 - 5:07pm

i had my 37 week appointment today.

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-21-2010 - 6:22pm

I'm sorry you didn't have a great appt today.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-21-2010 - 7:47pm
So sorry that they are shutting down (so to speak) the clinic! Wow sounds like it is happening quite frequently around here!

I found out last week that my OB is jewish, so it doesn't phase her that there's a holiday going on since hers has already come and gone!

That is very odd that they didn't check you...I thought that was a given starting at 36 weeks for those who would be going through labor! Like Rhonda said, maybe you can get the RN's to listen for the heartbeat for you!

If it really frustrates you that you can't see your provider, then I'd give the office a call and voice that concern...maybe even ask to speak to the office manager! I can't believe that this is the norm for physicians to all go on vacation, they have to make some sacrifices too.

Hope all goes well and you have a nice Holiday!

Take care,

Jenn
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-21-2010 - 8:09pm
That does suck! Is there a reason the nurses can't use the Doppler? Mine always did when I saw an OB, hmmm. Maybe they'll sneak it in for you :). Or maybe you'll get even luckier and go into labor befre then!! ;)
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-21-2010 - 9:49pm

You and bfg27 have the same situation in terms of not having an appointment again til the 6th, from what she posted also!

There seems to be some change in the ideas and expectations surrounding routine prenatal cervical checks, that might have something to do with them not checking you this time.. apparently even with a sterile glove on, the cervical check can push bacteria from the entry of the vagina up further, into or on the cervix, increasingly the possibility of infection, so a lot of practitioners are moving away from doing them so routinely, toward doing them only when specific information is needed and can be gained that way.

I sympathize with the eagerness to know more, though. I too am walking around dropped and fully effaced even though this is not my first, and wondering from day to day, whether I have mere days, or still weeks, because other women on the board have told me they have gone weeks like this even with 3rd babies, so it can happen.

I hope you feel better, and that you get to hear the heartbeat, whether with a fetoscope (like a large heavy stethoscope, uses no energy waves, carries no risk) or a dopplar or whatnot if that's what the nurses have. Hopefully the movements and kicks are strong and reassuring for you in the meantime!

Do you find it is getting harder to even think about the holidays now, and you'd rather they just get over with and get on with having a new baby?

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

<a href="http://lilypie.com