Hormones!! After birth

iVillage Member
Hormones!! After birth
Tue, 01-18-2011 - 5:10pm

Ok, BTDT moms, what advice can you give about postpartum hormones?

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-18-2011 - 6:33pm

The sudden drop in hormones is responsible, and yes, it can be normal. I went through it with my first, then ate my placenta (smoothies with spicy v-8 and frozen cut up portions of placenta) with the second child and it totally rescued me, and this time, had the placenta waiting in the freezer, had a few the first week, and then didn't seem to need them. So it can be different each time, how intense the mood swings are or whether you even get them. The hormones in the placenta stabilize you by offsetting the sudden hormone drop. For me, it was like a miracle even though it's a gross idea... I am squeamish and didn't want to do it unless absolutely necessary, so when I had a bad mood swing, like walls closing in on me and feeling desperate, depressed, like I had no courage or strength, I took that smoothie, and in about 15 minutes was feeling much better, and the effect lasted into the next day, so I took one each day as the sun started going down, which seemed to be when I needed it most.

Of course, unless you planned to consume your placenta through encapsulation (the way most women who do it use) or frozen in smoothies, that option is out, because obviously you won't have a placenta ready, but it's something to keep in mind for next time, because in major cities, there are nurses, doulas, and even businesses, that specialize in providing the service for a fee, where they take your placenta and poof, give you back a large supply of dehydrated ground up capsules of it so it's all much cleaner and less gross. Sadly, I live too far in the sticks to have that option, so I did it the backwoods way LOL.

Sometimes just extra-intensive TLC, being held and talked softly to, mothered like you were a baby (hey they do that in some cultures as a matter of course, to the new mother, for the same reason), etc works to get you through it in a week or two. My DH holding me through it, even rocking me, singing to me, etc got me through a very rough

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

<a href="http://lilypie.com

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-19-2011 - 1:30am

Jennifer,

First off, thinking positive thoughts for you girl!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-22-2011 - 3:37am
Sleep!!!! It helped so much! As soon as I got weepy my hubby sent me to bed. It worked great but I felt useless for a while because I slept a lot!
~~~Lani-lee~~~

As of Today:

Ty 4/19/96 Boy- Foster
Tier 2/3/04 Girl- Adopted
O.D. 6/10/05 Boy- Adopted
Sh 1/19/08 Boy- God Willing Soon to be Adopted
Clr 1/7/10 Girl- Bio Baby Girl
Boy/Girl #6 EDD 2/23/2011

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-22-2011 - 4:24pm
That is such good advice, Lani! Women do suffer from the idea that we shouldn't 'need' to have the traditional lying-in period that in many cultures is several weeks long, but really, it is so true that extra bedrest, even when we think we could get by without it, makes a huge difference. And what a marvelous hubby you have! :)

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-23-2011 - 2:40pm

I've been experiencing a lot of hormonal shift changes myself LOL....from just typical baby blue things to oh my god what did i do thoughts...because i got my tubes tied ...i know it's just hormonal though...keeping that thought at the forefront of my mind has helped me to get past it :)

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-23-2011 - 6:22pm
You're not alone. I am feeling the same way and it's always when I think of my baby girl still being in nicu and not home with us where she belongs. I'll be just fine and then at the drop of a hat I'm in tears over it and can't stop like you mentioned. I hope it improves and I think it will once Madeline comes home (which they're saying will be this week).
iVillage Member
Sun, 01-23-2011 - 10:11pm
I don't really have any advice, sorry, but I wanted to let you know I know how you feel. It hasn't been bad for me this time, but with my first I felt like an absolute crazy person those first few weeks. I think maybe it's worse for FTMs since you can read what to expect, but you don't REALLY know what to expect as far as hormone shifts, taking care of a tiny new human being, realizing your life has just changed forever, dealing with new dynamics to all your relationships, etc. I remember with Violet I would sometimes feel mad at her for coming and changing everything, and demanding more from my body (in breastfeeding) after an already long 9 months, and for taking up ALL my time, and then I would feel like a horrible mother and there's no feeling worse than that. So I would just spend hours and hours sobbing with anger and guilt and sadness and lord knows what other emotions. I think it's normal and unavoidable to a degree. Sleep will definitely help (when you finally get some :) ). Eating and drinking enough and showering daily no matter what will also make a huge difference. And for me, for some reason it always made me feel better to thank DH for taking care of me. Also try your hardest to truly not care if the kitchen looks like crap for a few weeks! I had a moment yesterday where I went looking for something in the kitchen and EVERYTHING was out of place and I flipped, and that led to flip outs over other things later in the day until I got a nap. Today I know better to just send Joe to get me everything I need ;). I think what you're experiencing is totally normal and there's not much you can do besides to just wait it out - unless you get to a point where you feel like you're going to hurt someone buy of course you know to call for help if that happens! Maybe you could call your OB anyway and see if they can recommend certain vitamins or supplements to help you along the way. And feel free to vent your feelings here, no matter how irrational you might feel - I guarantee someone here has felt the same! I hope you're feeling better soon!
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-24-2011 - 5:34am

i'm having problems myself this time regretting getting my tubes tied....i know most of it is just baby blues stuff but i spent all night last night googling reversals and crying LOL

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-25-2011 - 12:10am

I think it depends on the individual, but most likely you should just roll with it and don't worry. Your body is making a huge change from pregnancy to non-pregnancy and that's what's doing it.

I have had four babies and every time, I've cried on the day of going home from the hospital. But only that one day. Sometimes there's a trigger, sometimes no trigger at all. But I knew it was normal.

Of course you will love your child!! Really take it easy and your tears will pass....

Hugs!

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-25-2011 - 9:12am

Kate,

Your reply was great to read, and reminded me so much of when DH and I came home with our first, our daughter. I was healing from an unforeseen cesarean, and we had the shell-shock of new parents plus surgery, and in the first week we were home, I was crying and trying to hold it together every evening, watching kids' shows on PBS to get through the day. Caillou in particular because the music was so cheery. Seriously, I clung to the daily episode of Cailliou because I knew it was only a short time before DH would be home from work, and once he was there, I felt like I could get through it. I would hold my screaming baby nursing on the sofa, hospital breast pump going on the other breast, Caillou on TV, and it was like my lifeline. Weird, huh?

Apparently DH was suffering too, from stress, because we were in the kitchen trying to change DD's diaper while she screamed her little head off, and suddenly while I was holding her naked and he was running around like a panicked gorilla searching all over for the diapers we couldn't find, we heard an explosion, and she shot a liquid poop rocket several feet across the room and it hit DH squarely. We both broke into hysterical laughter, and couldn't stop for like 15 minutes! We did manage to get her diapered, but the crazy laughing jag was just the kind of release we needed! We laugh about it still.

Then with DS#1, it wasn't right postpartum, but when colick set in, DH and I survived by me holding the baby upright on my shoulder, bouncing on the exercise ball in the living room, and because we had just 3 channels with rabbit ears at the time and it was all that was on, watched 2 back-to-back episodes of "Two and A Half Men" even though I really thought the show was tacky and crass. It was all that was on... so we used watching it as a survival tool while I bounced a baby who screamed for 2 hours every night.

We'll know soon enough if this one will be colicky or not, hoping not, and so far so good...

But your story really took me back. This time has been sooooo much easier, knock on wood, it's almost a miracle! Maybe the miracle is that we had a 3rd after how hard the first 2 were for colic and all...LOL

-Meg