How was your birth?

iVillage Member
How was your birth?
Sat, 06-18-2011 - 3:27pm
Was the experience good, overall? Are there things you will change for next time?

Amanda

Mom to Talia (3)

expecting #2 on 1/11/11

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-18-2011 - 3:32pm
I enjoyed this birth. The only thing I'd change is there to not be an ice storm, so my mom could have made it to watch the kiddo. I will know for next time that I am a cave birther and my children distract me. They will have to go somewhere and be called back at the last minute. I also really liked the water birth, bc it was so clean. No mess. Awesome. I will do it at home again, even though it costs so much. It was nice not having to go anywhere or having the stress of when to leave.

Amanda

Mom to Talia (3)

expecting #2 on 1/11/11

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-19-2011 - 6:18pm
Horrible! 26 hour labor, back labor, and DS needed a vacuum assist to be born. I ended up with almost 4th degree tears. I hope things are better next time, I really wanted to go all natural.
iVillage Member
Sun, 06-19-2011 - 7:32pm
Oooh, girl. 4th degree?!? I feel for you. I had a first degree with T and some hemorrhoids and thought I would die. This time no tear, but a mild prolapse, which is supposed to get better with kegels. I can't even imagine 4th degree. I think I would never have sex again, ever. I hear your 26 hours, my first was that long. It sucks. Number 2 was only 7 hours, so there is hope!

Amanda

Mom to Talia (3)

expecting #2 on 1/11/11

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-19-2011 - 9:55pm
Considering the hospital sent me home with regular contractions lasting a minute and 5 minutes apart but only 1 cm dilated, I think we did well. My water broke about 2 hours after I was released and DS was born in the doctor's office about 90 minutes later. I did not plan for all-natural since this is the 21st century but everything went so fast I had no choice.

Would love to make plans for a second but I doubt that's in the cards. Too long and too expensive a process to have the peanut so I think, whether we want it that way or not, it's going to be 1 and done.

Isabel
Mom to Sebastian Robert after 3+ years of infertility

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-20-2011 - 5:58am
Mine was awesome and well worth the 42 week wait! The only thing I would have changed if I lived in a perfect world would have been to give birth at home, but since a hospital birth is free for me then arriving 15 minutes before she was born seemed to be about the best possible way to do it. Maybe if it happens that way next time I'll call ahead and have them have a tub full of water waiting for me :). I really had wanted to try that out, but yeah, I can't complain one bit about how things worked out.
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-20-2011 - 6:03am
Oh, I can echo that the second labor can be much easier! With my first, I was doing a decent bit of pre-laboring on a Sunday night, then full blown labor started Monday night, then she was finally actually born Wednesday morning (and came out sunny side up which is I think why it took soooooo long). With my second I didn't have a single contraction pain until Tuesday morning, and she was in my arms 12 hours later. 12 hours is still no picnic but it was cake compared to what I was expecting, so there definitely is hope!
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-20-2011 - 10:41am

Overall, the experience was my best thus far.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-20-2011 - 12:46pm
Ha! Isabel, I didn't remember that your son was born in the Drs office. Did you realize that you had progressed that much in 2 hours? That is amazingly fast for a first time mom. And keep your hope, sometimes people just wind up pregnant after years of infertility. I have 3 friends with stories like that, so keep thinking positive on that front!

Amanda

Mom to Talia (3)

expecting #2 on 1/11/11

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-27-2011 - 5:47pm
Mine was great! It was so great that I'm totally willing (and wanting) to do it all again a few more times! It only lasted like 7 hours, I got an epidural that wasn't too strong, and he came out soo quickly, in like 3-4 pushes! Since he was so huge, I think i had a 3rd degree tear, but I never had any issues from it. I'd almost like to try it medicine free, but since my last was 11 lbs 10 oz, and his older brother was 10 pounds, I'm kind of not wanting to tempt fate and try to deliver a 12 pound baby sans epidural! My sister thinks I'm crazy because the labor and delivery are my absolute favorite parts of the pregnancy, haha.
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-27-2011 - 8:53pm

Each has been better/easier than the previous one. My first, DD, was a c/sec after a terrible 38-week induction, and she was 8 lbs and change, 22 inches.

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

<a href="http://lilypie.com

Pages