I Popped A Back Muscle (OW!)

iVillage Member
I Popped A Back Muscle (OW!)
Sun, 01-16-2011 - 10:58am
So I've had a really bad cold for a week and a half, which caused my back to get really sore. Yesterday I was mopping and coughed at the same time, heard a pop, and thought I was dying! Apparently I pulled/popped a back muscle, which caused alot of contractions. It was the only time I've cried about something hurting since I've been an adult, haha. My mom talked me into going to the hospital, where they told me I was having good contractions and I'd dilated from 1 to 3 (yay!) BUT they gave me a sort of sedative to help with the back pain called Vistaril. This is supposedly like Benadryl and is only to help me sleep, but now I'm worried about taking it. Since I'm pretty much stuck in one spot until my back gets better, I'd like to at least be able to sleep, but I don't want to take something that I shouldn't be. Has anyone else taken this?
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-17-2011 - 7:44am

Vistaril, the brand name for Hydroxyzine Pamoate, is an antihistamine that, like most antihistamines, has a variety of other effects, including inducing drowsiness. It also increases the effects of opioid drugs and can therefore be used in conjunction with the scopalamine, or Twilight Sleep Amnesiac drug they used to use commonly to make a woman permanently

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

<a href="http://lilypie.com

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-17-2011 - 12:57pm
Thanks! I decided against taking anything that would just make me sleepy, since I have an extremely active 1 year old. I'm just going to try and let my back heal itself (hopefully before labor begins!) Also, they JUST found out I was anemic on Saturday and told me to take iron supplements. Does anyone know if it'll even make a difference this late in the game? I wish I could've known about this a couple months ago!
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers