IUD's

iVillage Member
IUD's
Fri, 03-18-2011 - 5:55pm

I was just curious if anyone has one and how you like it.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
In reply to: djsmum05
Sat, 03-19-2011 - 12:00pm

I had the Paraguard about 8 years ago.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-20-2011 - 6:34pm
Sorry I can't report any personal experience, and the mirena must be fine for most women...but I know a few women who had problems with it causing hormonal issues like weight gain, mood swings, acne, etc. There are a lot of Mirena stories out there...but that's true of any method out there, either health horror stories, or things that can't hurt your health, but can fail. Well, all of them *can* fail, but some are less likely than others. I'm a big believer in the "go with your gut feeling" idea, because I've regretted not listening to my inner voice a few times, and there have been other times I was glad I did. Research it, meditate on it, and try to see if your inner voice is telling you something. If you still don't feel totally ok with the idea, you can always do something you feel better with, in the meantime, and make the decision later.
Best wishes in the whole thing! :)

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

<a href="http://lilypie.com

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-21-2011 - 9:57am

i don't have any personal experience with it but at least 7 girls on the feb 06 board had IUD babies...so i don't think they are very effective at all but i'm sure it depends on the person

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-21-2011 - 7:00pm
I got the Paraguard on March 1st. Other than some cramping for the first few days, it has been wonderful. I actually forget that I have it! I got the paraguard because I nurse and it is hormone free (unlike Mirena). It is also good for 10 years instead of 5 which is good since I am 99% sure we are done with kids. My doc also said that in his 23 years of practicing, he has NEVER seen a Paraguard baby.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-24-2011 - 9:53am
I had a Mirena placed in August 2009, it slid out on it's own that December! Literally, went to the bathroom and it just slid out! I tend to have a lot of clots though and so it came out in one big clot...sorry TMI! It did not hurt be because of the clot! My friend has the Mirena and she complained about constand abdominal pain and forced her DH to get a V so she could get it removed! I ended up conceiving that month and miscarried at 7 weeks! The whole reason I got the IUD was to hold off on us getting pregnant for another year and due to my blood pressures this was the safest route for me as most bc methods increase BP's!

If you feel uneasy about it, I wouldn't do it! I felt uneasy about it and had good reason! I think the reason I m/c is because my lining was too thin and Mirena clearly thins your lining! There also have been a few cases where mom delivers with IUD still in place, just had one at our hospital!

Sorry if I'm scaring you and certainly do what you feel is best! Not all cases end up like this, if that were true, they wouldn't be available!

Jenn
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-24-2011 - 4:57pm

Wow haven't heard a good thing yet!

Photobucket