Listeria Recall-Wal-Mart deli meat

iVillage Member
Listeria Recall-Wal-Mart deli meat
Tue, 08-24-2010 - 2:03pm
Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-24-2010 - 3:25pm

scary stuff. Glad I don't buy that brand, but maybe I'll give up lunchmeat all together. From what I've read, the prepackaged stuff is suppose to be safe. UGHHH!!

Jennifer

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-24-2010 - 5:19pm

thanks for posting.

Amanda

Mom to Talia (3)

expecting #2 on 1/11/11

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-24-2010 - 7:23pm

I haven't eaten any of the Wal-Mart stuff but I DO eat the prepackaged Hillshire farms lunch meat (which I read was supposed to be safe).

Anybody heard otherwise? About prepackaged and sealed lunch meat?

One more thing for us to worry about!

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-24-2010 - 11:20pm

It is my understanding that this particular recall is for prepackaged sandwiches, not packages of lunch meat or lunch meat at the deli counter.

That being said, I don't eat lunch meat while I'm pregnant. I love sandwiches. I grew up just outside of NYC -- I *love* a good deli sandwich; roast beef on rye would be my last supper. If I do chose to have a lunch meat sandwich, I microwave the lunch meat before consuming it in order to mitigate the risk.

-Dawn

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Photobucket

-Dawn
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-25-2010 - 12:06am
I saw that... my OB told me not to ever buy deli meats from the deli counter but to always buy them in packages, just because the companies that package them have more sanitary environments than the deli counter at Wal Mart (or whatever grocery store you go to). I eat cold deli meat, but limit slices to 1 in a sandwich (compared to 2-3 I used to have), and don't really eat them that much anymore. Worked out fine with my last pregnant, so I figured this time around it should be fine as well.

Super Mom Pictures, Images and PhotosPhotobucket

blinkiesPhotobucketStudying.gif image by foxymomof3

Super Mom Pictures, Images and Photos