Meg, have a question in regards to BF'ing babes....

iVillage Member
Meg, have a question in regards to BF'ing babes....
Fri, 04-06-2012 - 8:20am

So Jacob was weaned at 13 months due to this pregnancy.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
I'm not Meg so I hope it's ok that I jump in! My midwife explained that vitamin D doesn't transfer through mommy milk well and that's why typically pediatricians will prescribe the drops to newbies (mine did). Newborns do come with a reserve of it though that usually lasts until they can get it from other sources. Salmon and tuna and catfish are good sources, and I think sunshine is the best. Leela gets a gummy multi every night because her big sister does and god forbid one get something the other doesn't... but I feel fine just having her in the sun during warm months and letting her get it from diet in cold months.
iVillage Member

Thanks Kate! And I probably should have just generalized the question, lol.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
My son James has a large head too.. I joke that it's the "Richards Cranium" because the men in DH's family all have big blocky heads. My GP was asking if James is on Vit D supplements as well..low D levels are the latest epidemic to come down the pike...not sure if it's all the sunscreen people use or simple lack of sun, or if it's another symptom of underlying increasing hormonal disruption, because Vit D is a hormone, actually. Only called a Vitamin for convenience.

So long and short, I am going through this too, and just don't know. What I do know is, Herring is a low-mercury fish that is really high in natural Vit. D, or so I read. I also read that sunflower seeds have D, not sure if it's true.

I am not going to give supplements til I can get D levels measured, because we are all pale-skinned and prone to freckling, and if we can't get enough D from sun exposure given that we do not use sunblock, something is definitely wrong. It could be; hormones are affected by chemicals, and if we are unable to get enough D from sun I want to know about it and do something. D is too important to immune function.

But like you, I don't accept right out of the horse's mouth, that my child MUST be low in D unless he's getting drops. I want confirmation one way or the other before supplementing. He does drink some of the coconut-based "milk" or rice "milk" and that has D in it for whatever that is worth.

I'm taking all 3 kids to a naturopathic doc at the end of the month, and need to compile a list of things to ask about, such as testing vit D levels, lead levels, maybe mercury. If we can afford all that. I wish I could just ask for those tests through our insurance-covered PCP... seems like it would be a good thing to know, but for all they have the attitude of assuming D must be low unless treated preemptively, they don't seem to have to attitude of testing first to be sure. Weird, I know.

I had to laugh that your doc actually noticed that you and your husband have big heads too, and didn't seem to think a more likely explanation of your son's head size, would be that it runs in the family. Great to be cautious and all, but what's wrong with testing D levels? Is it super difficult and expensive I wonder?

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

<a href="http://lilypie.com

iVillage Member
I've never supplemented DS (still nursing at 15 months) and for his vit. D, we just go outside for 20-25 minutes without sun screen in the mid-morning or late evening. But for lighter skin (he's gotten some color recently) the recommended time amount for a good amount of vit. D is 10-15 minutes.