Never say never, re pacifiers and bottle babies

iVillage Member
Never say never, re pacifiers and bottle babies
Wed, 06-08-2011 - 2:49pm

I never thought in a million years I would havew a bottle fed baby who was addicted to pacifiers! My 3 biological children hardly took bottles, and were addicted to me as a pacifier, LOL!

But here I am with a 5 month old who will NOT sleep without his binkie. I had to put it back 3-4 times before he goes to sleep any time during the day. I never go anywhere without it, in fact- I only own one of the only ones he prefers. You know, those big plastic ones they give you at the hospital?

Who else will join the binkie baby club with me? :smileyhappy:

~April, Mom to son Jory, 23 and boy/girl twins, Alex and Haley, 11

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-08-2011 - 6:59pm
We are a binky family too! We used it from birth to correct his horrible suck so I could breast feed properly! He also loves those paci's! I have the cutest picture of him 8 days old with it!
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-16-2011 - 10:57pm
Well, you know, James is my 3rd and I breastfeed them all, totally, and never used pacis before...partly didn't believe in them much, and partly my kids hated the very idea. But got some this time just in case they came in handy for car rides, and he seemed to like them ok at a few weeks old, then it just didn't come up or else he didn't like them (can't remember which, thanks to Momnesia) but then one night I saw that he liked to chew on them for teething, and started letting him do that, and now recently, he uses one to chew on and soothe during car rides, especially bc he likes to grasp and manipulate things to his mouth.
He doesn't really suck them much, just a little here and there, and I still know they are a fake form of comfort (the breast is the intended 'real thing' and the paci is the fake plastic imitation and poor substitute)...but I am seeing that babies are different, and some can get nipple confusion, others don't, some like them and others don't, and pacis can be used responsibly even with breastfeeding, if one is careful, in a way that doesn't harm the nursing pattern or milk supply.
Things are never as black and white as they seem when you are reading up on it and haven't lived it yet, are they? Pacis aren't evil, and they aren't angelic. They're a possible tool that can be applied or misapplied, or not applied at all, with varying results dependent on the child and situation.
I figured they may be fake comfort, but the fake situation of modern American life of the carseat and temporary separation from the mother, makes fake comfort better than no comfort. Then again, James is easygoing about carseats without it, whereas my other two were horrified at carseats no matter what. Thank heaven this one is easier going! LOL Good question to ask, though, and good point to make. I was and am a LaLecheLeague type of mother, but will stand my ground that occasional voluntary use of one hasn't hurt my son any, and of course I never forced one on any of my babies, and the first two would have none of it, and that was ok too.

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

<a href="http://lilypie.com

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-17-2011 - 1:45pm
I am very much a proponent of nursing and a LLL type of Mom too. I bf my twins and they only had a few bottles each in their lives.
When you find yourself unable to nurse, such as my situation where I did not birth this baby, what do you do? I find that the paci is used for me in times where I used to nurse my babes. My middle son nursed to sleep, now this new baby needs his binky to fall asleep. I just wish I didnt have to keep popping it back in all the time and have him so attached to it, KWIM?

~April, Mom to son Jory, 23 and boy/girl twins, Alex and Haley, 11

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-18-2011 - 3:02pm
T didn't sleep without the breast. Some nights I spent hours with my boob in her mouth just so we could get some rest. Remove boob, wake in 10 mins, scream. Nurse to soothe. Repeat. All night. She didn't night wean until 2 and3 months. And we tried. God, we tried. It was miserable, I was sleep deprived. My husband couldn't help, we tried everything and I think I read every book. And maybe, if I could have stood it I could have made her CIO until she finally broke, but some things shouldn't be broken, IMO. We started attempting night weaning at a year and finally, after all of her teeth came in, she was receptive and started sleeping with only snuggles. Ahe still woke many times a night, and still does. She was also a carseat screamer. 10 minutes or 3 hours, didn't matter, she screamed until about 2, when she was old enough to start having conversations. Soooo, after that experience, I knew I needed M to take a paci, if I could help it. I really pushed it. I still can't tell if she is going to stick with it. I use it to soothe her to sleep when we are out and she is in the moby wrap. Sometimes we use it when she is being rocked to sleep and is full and won't take the breast. I use it at night when she is restless( she sleeps beside me) I can pop it in and sleep longer myself, avoiding a night nursing. We did use it to soothe in the car, but lately she prefers a toy.

Not sure if I should continue or get rid of it. I have heard that if u don't lose it by 6 months they an attachment. What do you think? I do think I use it responsibly, in addition to my comfort and not in lieu of my comfort. That is the only time pacis bug me.

Amanda

Mom to Talia (3)

expecting #2 on 1/11/11