Pump and dump question

iVillage Member
Pump and dump question
Sun, 03-13-2011 - 10:34am

Got to go to a charity gala last night and enjoyed 3 glasses of wine, although the headache this morning makes me wish I hadn't:( lol

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-13-2011 - 12:06pm
The alcohol is only in your milk about as long as it's in your system. So you should only have to dump the morning one. 1 drink (equal to one shot or one beer or one glass of wine) is in your system about an hour.
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-14-2011 - 7:58am

Your breastmilk, while you have alcohol in your system, is only the same "proof" as your own blood. However, before 3 months, our babies have immature livers, and there's a lot of conflicting info about the topic, but "pump and dump" will not change anything, because alcohol doesn't store up in breastmilk. The only purpose to "pump and dump" is to empty the breast if you are away from your baby through a feeding (or using stored breastmilk to bottle-feed) so you don't get engorged and decrease your milk supply. Even if you pump and dump, it doesn't get rid of anything, because the milk that is contiually made in your breast, will have alcohol (in very small amounts) in it while your blood has, and as soon as it leaves your blood, it also leaves your milk, even if that milk is still in your breast.

Here's an article that may clarify some things about alcohol and breastfeeding, from La Leche League International:

http://www.llli.org/faq/alcohol.html

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

<a href="http://lilypie.com

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-14-2011 - 9:10am

oops... I meant don't dump the morning one

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-15-2011 - 11:32pm
Thanks guys.
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers