Sleep advise please!

iVillage Member
Sleep advise please!
Tue, 06-21-2011 - 11:16pm

Jett was in a nice pattern of waking up at 2am and then again at 5-6am from 3 months to almost 5 months.

Jennifer . . baby
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-22-2011 - 9:59am

It could be a combination teething and growing, but that still doesn't really help you.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-22-2011 - 12:17pm
Poor baby and poor mommy! I'd die on broken sleep like that.

If it was me, during his first nap in the morning, if he wakes up crying I would let him cry for just 5 minutes (which will feel like an eternity!). If he's waking up crying it means he's not happy about being awake, and is probably only half awake and struggling to get back to sleep all the way. If he's still crying at that point, I'd stick a pacifier in his mouth, or if he doesn't take one I would leave him laying down and rub his head and ssshhhhh at him really loudly for a minute or two. If he STILL doesn't calm then I would rock him back to sleep and continue shhhing. If he can get in a really good first nap it should keep him from getting overtired and he will be able to sleep better all day and then throughout the night. I would use nursing him to sleep as a last resort during the day because it will help him get in a full nursing session when he wakes up rather than having lots of little snacks that never satisfy him for as long.

I'd also try playing with temperatures and textures at night. Leela had a regression a few weeks ago and it turned out I was keeping her too warm... apparently she likes to be nearly freezing haha. She also HATES fleece for some reason - not positive if it's because she's a sweaty baby or if it's the texture or both, but we can't do fleece.

Teething and tummy troubles are definitely not helping with his sleep, but to me it sounds like he's just way overtired and like you said, it's a vicious cycle! I hope you can break it though so everyone can get some more rest!
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-22-2011 - 10:13pm

The night frrequen night wakings are sooo hard! my little guy is getting up twice at night now, but I have had nights that are more frequent.

I guess I have to ask when you mention a *blowout* poop. is this something that is frequent, along with the constipatioin? I know that sometim es food allergies or intolerances can often cause sleep issues. I am speaking from experience with my own son (now 12) who really had a hard time sleeping much at night and we were up often 3 or more times at night. i would often end up bringing him in bed with me too out of frustration and lack of sleep.

I am not sure i could let my LO CIO at all at this point. No, I know I couldn't do it. We did try it when my ds was older, about 2 or so, and even then it was awful and hard. But a LO of about 6 months I simply could not.

~April, Mom to son Jory, 23 and boy/girl twins, Alex and Haley, 11

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-23-2011 - 8:56pm
I wouldn't CIO. I would probably also switch doctors if I had one who told me to let a baby cry. Now a kid who can talk to you, I understand getting that advice. But the only communication tool a baby has is that cry. It means something isn't right. Even if that something is that he doesn't want to be alone.

Kate has some good advice about the temperAtures, my babe doesn't sleep well if she is hot.

I'd try the paci and the sussing too, but we all know sometimes only the breast will work. My DD was fine if you got her the boob before she fully woke, if she started in really crying, it wouldn't end and the pattern was set for a bad night of waking. Almost like, since I wasn't there the first time, she was determined to wake and keep checking.

Hopefully teething is playing a part in the night waking. Everything seems the worst while you are in the middle of it! This will pass, and all children begin to sleep better as they get older.

From what you are saying about the constipation, I'd try to increase the amount of breast milk he is getting. Feed milk prior to the solids, so he doesn't eat too much. I personally don't feed mine this early, but there are loge of theories there and you can google all that mess.

For now, relax, you are a great momma, just a tired one! Everything looks better when you get some decent sleep. You may be able to get used to him snuggling in bed with you at night. You may find that he wakes less if he is near you.

Good luck! You are doing a great job!

Amanda

Mom to Talia (3)

expecting #2 on 1/11/11

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-26-2011 - 11:30pm

Thank you for the advise!

Jennifer . . baby
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-27-2011 - 4:24am
Sleep patterns are very individual. The problems change, but you will likely be dealing with something for a long time. Whether it is a problem or not, mostly will depend on your attitude! But you have teething, developmental changes, transition to big boy bed, sleeping solo, night terrors, bed wetting/ potty training. Oh the list goes on and on. I suppose eventually they are trying to stay up all night on the computer chatting with friends or even sneaking out of the house. . . Good luck. :)

Amanda

Mom to Talia (3)

expecting #2 on 1/11/11