Snow Peas on the Move! Vacations with wee ones...

iVillage Member
Snow Peas on the Move! Vacations with wee ones...
Sun, 05-29-2011 - 7:00am

We are headed to Myrtle Beach for vacation over the 4th of July. We live in upstate NY, so this is about a 15 hour drive from us. We will be gone about 14 days, and have two places to stop along the way. Each drive will be about 6 hours, and we are stopping at relatives for about 4 days. When we get there, it will be hot, and we plan on spending a lot of time at the pool.

So, anyone taken an infant on a long car trip? Any tips for me? He sleeps pretty well, and does great if he has attention from us, and he will get plenty of that along the way as someone will always be sitting next to his car seat. How about bottle feeding in the car? As a former nursing mom I don't have much experience with this. Also, others who have had infants on beach vacations? There will be plenty of shade space, and I will stay in that with repeated dips in the pool. I have big hats, lots of sunscreen, and cool condo to retreat to nearby.

~April, Mom to son Jory, 23 and boy/girl twins, Alex and Haley, 11

iVillage Member
Sounds great! Depends on the baby... a trip like that with my first two would have been exhausting... but this time, with James, maybe because of the amber teething necklace, he's so mellow and easy-going, that I wish we could take a trip like that, except that my 3 yo DS wouldn't be ok with that much time in a booster seat, and I don't blame him. But for us the beach is less than a 2 hour drive away, so it's easier. Bottle feeding in the car shouldn't be too bad if your baby is already accustomed to a bottle. I just lean across my baby to nurse in the carseat if we are driving and can't pull over, while DH drives, and that's easy enough. But I used bottles on car drives with my DD, and it was just as fine in a carseat, as it was, out of one.
I hope you'll tell us all about how it went!

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

<a href="http://lilypie.com

iVillage Member

We just got back ffrom our trip to Hilton Head with our little Snow Pea.

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-30-2011 - 11:31am
Thanks for the input! I think he will be fine in the car, after all, actually. I will update on how everything goes!
That is a cute pic of your little guy in the pool! I have to say, he seems so much older than my little snow pea (who was a preemie). He does LOVE water a lot, and I expect he will feel the same way about the pool.

~April, Mom to son Jory, 23 and boy/girl twins, Alex and Haley, 11

iVillage Member

We took Jett to New Orleans about a month ago which was a 9 hour drive which we did all at once.

Jennifer . . baby