Terrified of induction

iVillage Member
Registered: 04-28-2008
Terrified of induction
4
Sun, 01-16-2011 - 2:55pm
I currently only have 3 days left until the date I discussed induction with my midwife. I will be 42w4d at that point according to LMP. I'm considering asking to push it back to Friday at which point I will be finishing my 42nd week of being pregnant. According to my ovulation date though, I may only be 2 or 3 days into week 42 by then... I never had a dating u/s so I honestly am not entirely sure when my "real" due date is.

I'm having trouble with this decision for a few reasons. I know a baby can continue to thrive through the 42nd week, but I guess because you never hear of it happening anymore these days, it has me nervous that something will happen to my baby in those last few days when I could have been induced before that and avoided a problem. I'm having NSTs every other day at this point, so I can see that she is perfectly healthy, and I can feel her wiggling around to know that she's fine. But still there's that fear.

My reason for not wanting to be induced though is completely selfish. I want to labor at home where I'm comfortable. I don't want to have stuff put in my body to force me into labor. I can't stand the idea of being in the hospital for a day to be induced PLUS another two to recover (I'm GBS+ so the baby needs to stay 48 hours to be observed). And I just can't help but feel bad like if I am induced, maybe the baby would have come the next day on her own. Oh and I'm sure it'll cost me extra money to be induced.

I'm just scared the induction procedure as well. If cervadil doesn't get me moving, I'll have to decide between breaking my water and pitocin. I hate the idea of being put on a timeline once my water breaks (especially with the GBS), and I'd like to keep that cushion of the water as long as possible into labor as well. But at the same time I'm worried the pitocin contractions will be too intense for me and I'll cave and get the epi. And I also have to remain on the monitor and attached to an IV line the entire time I'm on pitocin. Either option sounds absolutely horrid to me :(

So this is my dilemma. Assuming I don't go into labor before either day, be induced Wednesday or hold out and hope for the best Friday? Break my waters and risk getting pitocin anyway, or get pitocin straight away and be tethered to things? I'm just looking for opinions either way to help me make a decision and maybe stop stressing out over this!
iVillage Member
Registered: 10-18-2007
Sun, 01-16-2011 - 3:19pm
Just a quick reply - if baby is fine, there really is no need to induce. Induction will do just what you think it will (I know, I let myself be induced at 42 weeks last time and my body was NOT ready). Induction, if not needed for medical reasons, simply because you're 'overdue', will only cause additional intervention. Keep up with the NST's to make sure everything is still okay and keep truckin' along. Your body will know exactly what to do when it's time. It's perfectly normal for women to go over 42 weeks and still have babies with loads of vernix all over them (meaning they're not over due). As long as YOU are comfortable waiting and both you and baby are fine, there's really no reason to induce and put all that added pressure and time lines on you. If I could go back to my first birth, I would never have let them induce me, I would have happily gone to 43 or even 44 weeks, if it came to that. And, as it's been said, no woman has ever been pregnant forever. Good luck and lots of labour vibes for you!

Love Megs


Lilypie Maternity tickers


Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Registered: 10-24-2007
Mon, 01-17-2011 - 7:22am

I agree with previous poster, but of course if you have an inner feeling that something's not right, go with that first and everything else, second.

As for not hearing about women going past 42, my friend Jenny went to past 43 with each of her 2 kids and is now pregnant with #3. Being Caucasian makes you more likely to gestate longer on average... different ethnic groups have slightly different averages for gestational length as well as baby size at birth, did you know? Not that the statistics people go by ever reflects that. Maybe it's not PC enough?

Can't blame you for being scared, being uncertain either way. I think anyone except someone who had several other women pregnant past 42 (and especially who had gone past 42 before) to reassure her, would be scared and uncertain either way.

You know, intellectually, that induction will raise your risks of complications and the risk of ending in surgery, and that those risks are worth taking if there's a reason why remaining pregnant is a medical threat to your child. If

 

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

<a href="http://lilypie.com

iVillage Member
Registered: 05-02-2010
Mon, 01-17-2011 - 8:16pm

Kate,

I was in the position of being terrified of

Jennifer . . baby
iVillage Member
Registered: 06-21-2007
Mon, 01-17-2011 - 8:56pm
sorry to hear all this kate. SOunds like you know your arguments for and against so you are coming from a position of power and knowledge. You cant ask for more than that. Whatever decision you end up making, it will be right for you. Put faith in your choices and let your heart guide you. Best wishes for an uncomplicated birth.

Amanda


Mom to Talia (3)


expecting #2 on 1/11/11