Thanksgiving DIsh: what are you serving or where are you going?

iVillage Member
Thanksgiving DIsh: what are you serving or where are you going?
Wed, 11-16-2011 - 2:31pm

I was shocked out of my mind when I picked up turkey at the store just yesterday, and thought to myself "well, we love Turkey, so why not pick it up while it's so cheap, and we can buy another when the time comes for Thanksgiving?" because we have had 2 turkeys in November before and really enjoyed it. Then I got it home and realized, thunderstruck, that Thanksgiving is next week, and this IS that turkey!

What all are you serving, or what do you look forward to if not hosting?

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

<a href="http://lilypie.com

iVillage Member
I'm looking forward to going to see my in-laws (just not the 8 hour drive). We are much closer to them than any of my family. They get to see how much Trey has grown and I get to meet my new nephew Eli. Plus we get some of my mother-in-law's to die for stuffing and turkey!!

iVillage Member

Sadly, I haven't spent Thanksgiving with my family in over 12 years.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
We always have pecan and apple pies, but no pumpkin because no one but me likes it :(

iVillage Member

Wish you were closer, I'd share!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
My parents are our next door neighbors, and even though we usually make a 10 hour drive to spend Thanksgiving with my in-laws, this year we're taking a 2 minute walk (hooray!) and spending it with my mom and dad. I'm going to try my hand at making baklava and some kind of other dessert this year, even though I'm really terrible with baking. My mom cooks the turkey and all the trimmings, but since I'm the only one who's moved out, it's not much different than what she usually cooks for all my siblings!
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
We are going to DH's cousin this year. I refused last year because they have no bathroom on the first floor and I was in the potty about every hour a year ago. While I love thanksgiving, I'm a vegetarian so the whole turkey idea is not my thing. The only downside to DH's family is they always "forget" that I dom't eat meat and put bacon or something in all the food. We just bring 1 dish that I can eat and will bring special food for DS

Isabel
Mom to Sebastian Robert after 3+ years of infertility

iVillage Member
Izzy, that sounds terrible and insensitive. I try not to go to anyone else's celebration because my kids have food allergies, and there's no point... we'd have to bring all our own food anyway, and we'd rather just be us at home. My heart goes out to you. Sending you some nice mental hugs. I would definitely go out of my way to accommodate someone's dietary differences if they were a guest there at my own invitation! It would be churlish to do any less.

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

iVillage Member
Sorry to hear no one appreciates your pumpkin pie! We're pumpkin nuts here. Hope you have a good one, and having more for you isn't such a bad fate! :)

-Meg

iVillage Member
THat's so cool that your MIL is such a good cook! I can't wait to hear how it went and maybe see some pics! HAve fun with the first Thanksgiving with little Trey!

-Meg

iVillage Member

Well we are doing lunch at my BIL where my in-laws and my dad are going to be.

Photobucket