Trey has RSV :(

iVillage Member
Trey has RSV :(
Tue, 03-15-2011 - 8:08am

My little guy has been sick for about a week and a half.

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-15-2011 - 3:44pm
That sounds absolutely terrible. I will be hoping for a speedy recovery for him, and send thoughts of strength to you. I've never been through anything like that with a newborn or even a young baby, so can only try to imagine what it must be like. I'm so sorry!

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

<a href="http://lilypie.com

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-15-2011 - 3:59pm
Oh no, I'm so sorry! :(. I know it's so hard to watch them suffer, hang in there momma! I hope he gets over it quickly.
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-16-2011 - 11:05am

My thoughts are with you and I wanted to tell you that Kara has Bronchiolitis and RSV too but they gave her Amoxicillin.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-16-2011 - 1:45pm

Awww, I'm sorry. RSV is rough. Reed had RSV at just short of 3 weeks. We were so thankful to be able to avoid hospitalization. Are you doing breathing treatments. About half of babies with RSV will respond to albuterol breathing treatments. They tried one in the office and it did help Reed so we continued at home. We also used a vaporizor, saline drops and of course... the bulb snot sucker. We put Reed's bouncy near our bed to keep him upright while sleeping and that helps a bit. Reed is 7.5 weeks now and since the RSV he had caught two other cold viruses (thanks to big sisters) so he has never completely cleared up. Poor little guys!

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-16-2011 - 4:06pm
We were back at the doc today because he started having so much trouble breathing that it scared us. They checked his oxygen level and it was 97 so they said he was doing okay and told us what to look for if the breathing gets worse. I hope this clears up soon he is so miserable. The doc told us that babies don't usually respond to treatment and that we just have to wait this out. They recommended a humidifier, which we are using. We have him sleeping in his bouncy chair too, but he is still having trouble. He is also trowing up. The doc said that is from swallowing what he is coughing up. I'm really worried about him!

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-17-2011 - 1:03pm
Riley contracted RSV at 31 days old from big sister. I agree that it is extremely scary. After a day of him coughing so hard that he was turning blue, I insisted the pedatrician hospitalize him. He was 38 days old at this time. He stayed 3 days in the Children's Hospital and they did respitory therapy, suctioned his mucus and monitored his breathing. When I took him home he was like a totally new baby, that could breath, The ER told us that any infant brought in with RSV was immediately hospitalized due to the severity and extreme risk the illness is to infants. It does get better but, in my experience, it gets worse before it gets better. My advice is to be persistant if you think he needs to be in the hospital. I went to the peditrician 3 times in one week because I was so concerned. Good luck!!
- Kellie
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-17-2011 - 1:22pm
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one pounding down the door to the dr office over this. It is so scary to see a little baby struggle to breath. I have asthma and couldn't imagine having an asthma attack and not having meds for it. That is essentially what this little guy is going through. ):

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-19-2011 - 3:31pm

Well we went back to the doc on Friday and the poor little guys oxygen level was only 91.

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-19-2011 - 5:58pm

I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this.

Jennifer . . baby
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-20-2011 - 6:17pm
How terrible that it took things getting that bad before they took it seriously, especially declaring he was too young to treat?! apparently other babies aren't too young to treat by other docs, from what others have posted.. I'd be mad and looking for a different doc. Thank goodness he's on the mend now, and they finally did treat him!

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

<a href="http://lilypie.com

Pages