What are you thinking of for your Snow Pea's First Christmas (2nd for some!)?

iVillage Member
What are you thinking of for your Snow Pea's First Christmas (2nd for some!)?
Sat, 11-19-2011 - 4:04pm

Are you going minimalist, or going all out? Do tell! What are your plans for your new baby this Christmas?

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

<a href="http://lilypie.com

iVillage Member

We are going somewhere in between.

iVillage Member

Seeing as how we're a single income family with three kids, we go minimalist.

Photobucket
iVillage Member

I'm so tempted to go all out!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sounds like we're all having fun whether it's in doing lots of buying, or doing more doing.

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

iVillage Member
Poor Leela probably won't be getting any new presents from us. There's a few things I want Violet to have so I'll probably just wrap them up as "joint" gifts since they need to share everything anyway. I'll probably do this for a few years actually - we're too poor for lots of brand new toys for everyone, especially with both of their birthdays being so close to Christmas. Their grandmothers will be spoiling the crap out of them though, so I don't feel too bad :)
iVillage Member
There is nothing wrong with buying used. This is what we did and saved so much money. These guys are so young that they don't know the difference anyway! Trey just got a little tykes climber with a slide and swing that will be his birthday present, and I paid a third of retail and he still loves it!

iVillage Member

I agree with both of you.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
I see nothing wrong with used, either, and some families also like to keep a limit on the number of gifts for each child...3 is a number I see a lot, the reasoning being that the Christ Child was given 3. I like the idea of keeping gifts to a minimum because we are setting all their expectations now, and there's no surer way to either wind up unhappy, or in serious debt, than to have grown up expecting a mountain of presents as the norm. It's hard with relatives gifting, because we want to give them something ourselves, so I try to ask them to give non-object gifts, like tickets to a play, a dinner out, pay for a few piano or hockey or ballet classes or the gear necessary for them, etc.

Our kids already have more material object gifts this year than I wanted, because of relatives and others gifting them. I just don't want presents to be the most important part of Christmas, to them. It's a hard thing to live with as an adult, feeling blue and let down if you don't get lots of presents. I just want my kids to think of Christmas as special because of the special foods, activities, and shared good times, rather than the Great Gift Extravaganza.

We are even trying to get the kids on board with NOT making gifts for all their little friends, because whereas we want to encourage the spirit of giving, it doesn't have to be Stuff, and I know for a fact that most of the families we know, would be grateful to NOT be looped into yet another reciprocal gifting cycle. It really snowballs fast, when your daughter wants to make a present for each and every friend...how about adding 7 other families to the holiday gifting cycle? Eeeek! Most of their mothers don't want on that treadmill either.

-Meg

iVillage Member
Well, we had intended to go somewhere between all our and minimalist, but that didn't so much happen, lol. I think All Out is what we ended up with! We Target put Little People toys on sale buy one get one half off, well I had to but them. 4 little people toys later I finished my christmas shopping. Trey is getting those plus a tricycle and some books and puzzles and clothes and shoes, lol. I tried!

iVillage Member

I know the feeling.

Photobucket