What do you do in the "back end" of Winter?

iVillage Member
What do you do in the "back end" of Winter?
Fri, 01-18-2013 - 4:52pm

I know it's not the same for everyone. In some places, people are probably dealing with rain right now. In some places, people are dealing with 60 degrees but still greenery, and in some places (like Maine) we are dealing with a lot of unprecedented warm weather, but with thaw/freeze cycles. Right now it's terrifically cold, but a couple of days ago, I had a rosebud on a potted rose I never planted and didn't expect to survive. So we're all over the map.

But, the holidays are a distant memory, and Spring is a distant hope. What does this time of Winter feel like for you? 

I rather like it, because we cozy in and don't feel obligated to go and do. It's kind of fun to retreat inward for a spell. I tend to crave the chance to play card and board games, and do a lot of introverted things. 

Some get cabin fever, others can't wait to hit the slopes and ski, or head out to the pond or arena and ice skate, or go sledding. 

Around about Valentine's Day, we decorate with origami paper hearts in bright red, because we've tired of the bleak landscape and crave color. We make paper flowers and feed our need for the flamboyant. 

How about you? What do you feel, and do?

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

<a href="http://lilypie.com