Anyone else having insomnia while baby is STTN?

iVillage Member
Anyone else having insomnia while baby is STTN?
Sat, 09-17-2011 - 4:34pm

I had no problem sleeping when baby was waking me up 2/3 times a night. Now baby is sleeping 6 hrs a night at least i am having so many problems. I either fall asleep and wake a few hours later only to lay there and struggle and not sleep or i can't fall asleep until 3/4 am and sleep a few hours. I am so tired. I think i have anxiety. I had the same issue when i had other DD. Anyone else experiencing more sleep problems after baby is sleeping all night? I am sleeping worse than when i was pregnant (i woke up all the time but fell back most times).

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-17-2011 - 8:10pm

I haven't had this for this baby (since he's only done one night of sleeping a good 6 hour stretch) but I do remember being this way with DD because she STTN from day one and I think I had built up so much anxiety worrying that she wouldn't sleep, that when she did I couldn't even calm down. It did get better after awhile,though. Once I was used to the fact that she slept well, I was able to rest. I think you're probably right that it's anxiety related. Not to mention that waking every couple of hours becomes second nature to us after awhile. I don't even feel tired anymore because I'm so used to the lack of sleep...how sad is that?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-18-2011 - 12:09pm

Liz, she sleeps really well for a week and then it changes to less so i hear ya. Last night i was sleeping well. Of course she stays awake until 1230am as usual (UGH!) and then she woke at 515..and stayed up until 645 am..took me 2 hrs to go back to sleep but i did fall back (thank goodness!). I guess its good we have no other small kids because i can sleep later with her if i am physically able to. Jenna is a unique baby to me. Such a night owl. I wish she would go to bed at 10pm so me and DH can have time together and maybe even DTD...lol...Also she refuses to sleep in the crib!! She still is in the carseat with a blanket under her. We have moved to the bedroom finally :) haha

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-18-2011 - 2:54pm

Yea, I've learned to not get too excited when Jack sleeps well at night because he is just so sporadic with his sleep habits. For example, Thursday night was that rare night he slept six straight hours. Then he barely slept a wink on Friday night and didn't nap AT ALL yesterday. Then last night, he went back to 3-4 hour stretches and right now he's been napping since 1. Although, I do have a little bit of hope. My friend had her baby in April and her little girl used to have the same sort of sleep pattern as Jack (which translates to pretty much NO pattern) and then around 4 months or so, she just randomly started STTN from 7:30 pm to 6:30 am every single night. And it happened with no warning...one night she just did it and has done it every night since. Maybe our little ones will end up like that???

Photobucket