Are husbands allowed to stay in hospitals with you and baby these days??? that's new to me.

iVillage Member
Are husbands allowed to stay in hospitals with you and baby these days??? that's new to me.
Wed, 04-20-2011 - 2:15pm

When i had my DD15 no one could stay with me for the night and everyone had to leave by 8pm i believe. This was in 1996. Are husbands allowed to stay in hospitals now with moms??? I don't know if DH would want to anyway but i don't know that hospitals in my area allow that. What have you all experienced?

iVillage Member

I am guessing it depends on the hospital rules. My first ds was born at a hospital in Florida, my DH had to leave at 8pm. They had visiting hours even for spouse (which sucked being it was our first child).. For all the other births and hospitals they have visiting hours, but do not include spouses with those.. I guess it would also be affected by having shared rooms, and

Photobucket
iVillage Member

My Husband has always been allowed to stay over night with me. he only did with the first because of other children still at home.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
I agree that you need to check with your hospital. When we had DD, DH was allowed to stay with me which he did since I had a c-section. It was nice to have him with me. Especially when I couldn't sleep. His snoring was comforting. LOL

Alicia
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
I guess it depends on the hospital. I have had babies at 2 different hospitals and my husband could stay overnight at both and I don't really remember them enforcing visiting hours at all. With my last child (she is almost 2) my parents and my husband's parents came to the hospital when I went into labor at 5:00 in the morning and I know people visited past 9:00 in the evening after the baby was born. I was also in a private room so maybe that had something to do with it too.
iVillage Member
i don't know about all hospitals but where i delivered tristen and will be again this time (morristown memorial hospital in morristown, nj) they have a sleeping area in the room for the spouse (it's like a long seat against the window that you can lie down and sleep on). willie stayed w/ me all 4 nights last time. this time, i'm pretty sure he'll stay the first 2 nights then go home and switch off duty with my parents taking care of tristen.
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member

At the hospital I plan to deliver at, they are allowed as long as you are in a private room.

iVillage Member

The hospital I plan to deliver at has a extra bed in it for your husband or birth partner to stay with you overnight and everything

photo siggy2.jpg

baby
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
iVillage Member
hubby's been allowed to stay both times but i always send him home to sleep anyway
Photobucket
iVillage Member

Both hospitals have allowed for the father to stay overnight, but my SO never has. For our first, he insisted he should go home and get some sleep so he'd be able to allow me to rest when we got home. I teased him at first because I thought he was joking, but he really did pull the first couple all nighters which was WONDERFUL. For our second, he also didn't stay because we had DS at home. This time around, he won't be staying either because he'll have switched to working nights at that point...which really poses a problem because now we will need someone to stay with the kids the entire time I'm in the hospital.

Hey, now that I'm thinking of it, that really poses a problem with our wonderful little agreement. SO has always been great about getting up for nighttime feedings that I had totally forgotten I'd be doing that alone this time since he'll be working. Better catch up on some sleep now I guess!

Photobucket
iVillage Member

My DH was able to stay with me overnight in the LDR and in my pp room. The second night after Jessy was born DH went home and slept on a real bed... lol

I agree with the other ladies, def. check with your hospital! ;)