Baby registries --more or less items?

iVillage Member
Baby registries --more or less items?
Fri, 04-08-2011 - 1:40pm

I set up two registries (BRU and target baby)...I really didn't duplicate much except maybe small items like blankets etc...Do you think its better to have more to choose from or is it more confusing for people or overwhelming if you put a ton of stuff on them?

My sister told me i should put a bunch of things on each to give people a good selection. I only put 1 of the big items on either registry (i.e. bedding, car seats, high chair, bouncy seat). I think i have 80 items on each registry. There is about 55 people invited i think.. i also put some toddler stuff like booster seats on there in case someone wants to get that instead of all newborn things and took Alicia's advice and put some toys (books etc) and some outfits on the registries.

What are your thoughts on registry lists?

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-08-2011 - 6:27pm

Personally, I like to put more items on. That way, like your sister said, people have more to choose from. I know for my friend's shower a month ago, I went into Babies R Us and they were out of (or I couldn't find) the first three things I wanted to get her. That's just my opinion, though. I know I put a lot of things on mine this time, but it wasn't to be greedy. I just figured people like variety.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-08-2011 - 6:59pm

right that's what i was thinking...to give people more choices.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-08-2011 - 7:53pm

The only person who gave me any grief (this time AND last time) is SO's mother because she thinks registries are tacky and has no problem telling me so. She also said it makes me look greedy asking for so much, but whatever.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-08-2011 - 11:59pm
I agree with your sister. The more the better! Not to be redundant, but it gives people more options to choose from. Some people like getting multiple items, so having more ensures that there will be items for other guests to choose from.

Toddler items and toys are a great idea! With my personality, I like giving items that can be used longer or are for when they are older, just to balance out all the other gifts that are only usable when the child is a newborn or infant.
 BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-02-2011 - 8:20pm

I am noticing people have a bought some things but not

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-02-2011 - 8:24pm
i always say the more the better. it gives people a variety of price ranges and items to locate in stores near them. i also registered in two stores (babies r us and buy buy baby) because i know BRU has many more locations, but i love BBB!
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-02-2011 - 9:49pm
Sort of visiting from August EC (due in early august and both previous babies born at 39 weeks which puts me at end of July ... so not sure where to land w/ respect to EC).

Anyway, I truly believe the best registries only include those items that you truly would enjoy having and that you feel will bless you and your baby. A good registry will have a range of prices.

I think registering for things that will appeal to older baby / toddler is perfectly acceptable too.

You will get more blankets than you can ever even dream of using (and this will be true even if you never register for a single one). In general, you will have more stuff than you will use and if you register for 3 different bottle systems, chances are 2 or more of them will be clutter you have to deal with.

So personally, I don't think quantity is a big deal one way or the other ... but I'd really recommend you think about what it is you are registering for and if you think you will really love it / use it. Some people have great success registering for things like diapers ... I typically didn't do this, but for those people who aren't looking to give a meaningful gift (something unique you'll treasure ...), diapers are a great option and you'll definitely get your use out of them. Even more so if you are cloth diapering.

Personally, I'm irritated by registries that have a bunch of itty bitty tiny things on them. I'm never going to buy something insignificant ... if I know someone else attending the shower, I may split the cost of a bigger ticket item, but I tend to look for mid-range price items. Or I go out on my own and buy something adorable (clothes, toy, etc). But I'm never going to buy a $7 bottle drying rack that looks like grass.

HTH
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-02-2011 - 9:54pm
Just responding to your 2nd post ...

It's a mix I think.

Some people buy online and have it shipped and depending on where they bought from it may not come off your registry. Some people will be last minute (I ALWAYS AM!!!!). And others just may not like the things you've registered for (can't find the thing they want to buy you ... something personal and special but not too expensive, etc.).

Clothes will be a mix. You'll receive some that are "plan ahead" clothes and you'll receive a lot in the way of newborn wear (0-3 months) too. Yes, you can return anything you don't need if it has the tags and it's convenient.

I also keep some things I like but don't end up using and sometimes give as future baby gifts (not for shower - I typically search the registry for a shower). But I frequently give an outfit of some variety as a gift after the baby is born. So if you think you will have friends having babies in the coming 1-2 years, you can always hold on to some of the unused but adorable baby clothes to use as gifts for others.

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-03-2011 - 12:28pm

Thanks!! i didn't have a registry the first time around (15 yrs ago)...i have many things on my registry that i will use--i made two --but people are only going on BRU and have only purchased 10 things so far out 140 plus things..I bought 3 things off of it (on anothe website but i marked it bought -was afraid bedding was selling out)...My shower is in 12 days...i just hope i get a swing and an exercaucer (still left on registry) but if i have to, i'll just buy after shower...

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-03-2011 - 5:26pm

BabyFetus Ticker