BF pumpiing btdt moms---what accessories did you use ?

iVillage Member
BF pumpiing btdt moms---what accessories did you use ?
Tue, 05-17-2011 - 3:58pm

I was shopping today and was getting some BF accessories (not much --just some to start off with).. Did you use pump cleaning wipes? disposable or washable breast pads? What adhesive do you use to put them on? Which storage bags or bottles? Gelling pads? I bought some storage plastic bags (Medela), washable breast pads with a bag and 2 cooling gelling pads? Anything i else just to begin?

PS. i guess i should have posted this in Ask a beach mom? i will put other questions there. thx

iVillage Member

I tried teh cleaning wipes last time and didn't really like them, mainly just because I felt it couldn't get it as clean as hot water and soap, just my opinion.

The Medela storage bags are the best! They are the only ones that wouldn't leak for me. Since we had latch issues I strictly pumped for 5 months and had to freeze A LOT of milk, when thawing it out Medela bags were the only ones that didn't leak. Although I did make the mistake once or twice of putting 7 or 8 ounces in one bag which you aren't suppose to do and when I tried to thaw those they did leak a little in the bottom corners because they were too full before I froze them.

I used the disposable breast pads, they have adhesive on the back side that sticks right to your bra.

Also something that really came in handy for me; since I did nothing but pump (pumped 5 - 6 times a day) I got tired of sitting and holding those stupid bottles on. I got an old sports bra and cut 2 littles holes, one on each side, to slide the horns through and it stayed put so I could be hands free. It looks crazy but being able to read a book or surf online while pumping and actually being able to have 2 free hands was so worth it.

Photobucket

iVillage Member

Thanks Tara. I actually got a medela hands free bra so i can pump and do things. Boy it looks wild lol..good i got those storage bags. I will get box of disposable pads then.

iVillage Member
I tend to be a minimalist ... I use the playtex drop in nursing system where you pump directly into the little bags. And that's pretty much all I bought. I don't pump "daily" so I just wash my parts in the dishwasher (if I need to pump multiple times / day, I just put the pump parts that come into contact with milk in a baggie in the fridge (stops microbial growth).

I use disposable breast pads (they're self adhesive ... and no adhesive is used for the cloth ones, you simply put in your bra). But I only use J&J heavy flow ... they don't crumple and get all icky. They hold their shape, etc. I did notice that lansinoh has a new line of nursing "invisible" nursing pads that I might be willing to try.

I never used soothies or anything like that. Really, if you concentrate on getting a good latch with baby, your nipples won't hurt. If they do hurt, see the lactation consultant because it's a sign that latch is not perfect.

I do have som microwave steam cleaning bags for my pump that I've used some, but not a lot. Still ... a nice product. I did also get some of the wipes, but they weren't much use to me.
iVillage Member

Lilypie - Personal picture
iVillage Member
Do you mean a nipple shield? We got one with DS too, b/c he was a preemie and had trouble latching My dog ate TWO of them! I guess she liked the texture and I was stupid enough to put them on the coffee table right after nursing, so there was little bit of milk on there. And those things are expensive!

The vet said she would just pass them....and she did. But geez.
Photobucket
iVillage Member

- I used Gerber storage bags and never had a problem with them.

- I used disposeable nursing pads (whatever was on sale) but this time I think I would like to try reuseable as I went through a LOT of them.

- I used lanolin cream for the first few weeks but found I didn't really need it after that.

- I also had a microwave sterilizer (Avent, I think) and loved that thing.

iVillage Member

Hi Jen,

I just wanted to share a few links with you to the pumping boards here on iVillage.

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member

I'm not current on the breast pumps and such. I did not need one much

iVillage Member

Yeah that is what it was called.

Lilypie - Personal picture