Breast fed babies are very different than formula fed

iVillage Member
Breast fed babies are very different than formula fed
Wed, 07-20-2011 - 9:40am

Jenna has been eating alot (hours on end and fussy) esp from afternoon until bedtime for almost a

Pages

iVillage Member

your baby is one day older then mine.....he has had 2 different days where he was very demanding and wanted to nurse almost constantly...this was accompanied with many dirty, and often explosive diapers...he's a different child today and yesterday...eating and then napping a couple of hours..its prob just a growth spurt or could be she's working to get your supply up....

iVillage Member

Yeah i posted on br feeding board on your post. I know she's growing (ALOT!). I know babies who br feed poop more than formula fed. Funny that she likes to sometimes wait until we are changing her already wet diaper to push out more and more. lol

iVillage Member
I'm exclusively breastfeeding Presleigh and she loves to pee when we're changing her...but I always keep the "dirty" diaper underneath until I'm done cleaning her fully b/c I know about this little game ;) As for the pooping, I know when she goes (you can hear it) so I don't rush to change her right away. I give her about 10-ish mins to do what she needs to, if there's more. She doesn't poop a lot at once now that her BM's are true breast milk (before they were still that tarry black poop and it was a lot and messy). As for her feeding schedule...well, things have changed up a bit since we got home and she's now on that typical newborn track of having her days and nights confused. She still does sleep significant time periods during the day and nurses maybe like every 3 hrs on avg (I haven't been writing anything down, though I prob. should...just too much trouble when it gets hectic). At night and overnight, she's been wanting to nurse maybe like every hour. Between 12 midnight and 5am, things are difficult here. She's got some definite digestive and belly issues. She's hard to burp though she does and sometimes on her own, spits up enough (and it's orangey-looking like if she ate Kraft Mac & Cheese...weird) -- didn't have that issue w/ my son at all -- and you can tell she's got belly pain and some reflux. Today's her first dr's visit so I'll be asking them about that.
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member

Problem is the pee spills down her back and on changin cloths on table and on her clothes-- even if i have the old diaper's open or a new one..and it gets everywhere..I know what it sounds like for baby to poop but sometimes she's already pooped before and then you go to change her..( hate leaving baby in a nasty diaper for long) and she has more pee and more poop and its too much for one diaper and even two!

iVillage Member

Kendrick i the same way. At least once a day when I take his diaper off he decides to poop, buy when he does its like turning on a water hose! It shoots every where. Somehow today he even exploded out of his diaper all over the floor and on his daddy. LOL. Acey was the same way, just something about breastmilk.

Photobucket

iVillage Member

It's funny.

iVillage Member

I see a big difference. Breast fed babies are known to poop more (better for them and easier to digest _-big time!). I have a ton of milk too. No shortage here. She is good through the night --eats every 3.5 hours but during the day it can be more frequent at night (when she's very fussy). I have her down now pretty much. (also realizing Jenna is unpredictable at times esp the going poopie 3 times after i open a diaper than has poop in it and peeing 2 x sometimes after!!). I use alot of diapers because one can't fit it all. lolol...Its all good ladies!

iVillage Member
Well tonight is pizza for dinner tomorrow we are haivng smoked ribs, twice baked potatoes, fresh green beans and corn and biscuts............. I just feel lazy today. DH is going to make the ribs tomorrow YUMMMMYYYYY............and I get to go to the Dr tomorrow for my 2 week appt and get the OK to drive...........THANK GOD!

But I am still starved.............. I could eat the coffee table somedays o.0
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with your nurses.

iVillage Member

I didn't over feed my first child..They usually don't want to eat much anyway in the first few days and they (HOSPITAL) make sure the baby eats a certain amount before you leave (baby has to eat so many ounces before discharging baby) so i never heard of a new baby over eating but hey anything's possible i guess. You feed babies a certain amount of ounces with formula but its not like they can handle tons of it at first anyway at least in my case with first baby.

Pages