Breast feeding pump controversies: what are your thoughts?

iVillage Member
Breast feeding pump controversies: what are your thoughts?
Tue, 03-29-2011 - 8:21pm

I have just received the Medala double pump (pump in style with tote). I have no exp. breast feeding or pumping but this didn't make me too happy although i suppose its an editorial article and people always like or dislike a brand etc.

Pages

iVillage Member

OK. I have all kinds of respect for WHO but um... lets get real here... to qualify to be WHO compliant for being a company that supports breastfeeding you CANNOT ADVERTISE?

*IF* the PIS is really sub-standard, I agree that is a problem, but the not advertising is more disturbing to me than the other...

iVillage Member

I would take this article with a "grain of salt"

TTC #1 October/November 2009

BFP December 14th, 2009 :)

iVillage Member

I don't think Medela is a formula company...

To be honest, I am much less hard-line on the formula issue than I was before I had to have a breast reduction.

iVillage Member
River, I just want to stand up and applause. I agree with everything you wrote.

As for the article, IDK. I don't care if Medela advertises. I don't care if other companies don't. I just go with what works well with my family. If that's a medela open system pump - fine. If it's EBF- fine. If its formula -fine. People are too nosey and just care a little too much when it comes to how we feed our children.
Photobucket

iVillage Member

i agree ladies. I never thought about breast feeding my teen DD (no one i knew breast fed -just wasn't a thought at all??) so this time i am going to put my best effort for breast feeding (for health, allergies and $$ savings). My daughter had some health issues and i don't know if its related and would have happened no matter what but i am going to try this time around. When i had my DD i had this horrible spinal headache and could hardly hold my head up for a week and was in bad shape to take care of her let alone BF but i wasn't going to anyway.

iVillage Member
Im getting a Medela Freestyle.
I have not heard anything but good reviews of PIS & Freestyle.
I got a Lansinoh pump with DD & I hated it. I mean pumping is not fun, at least not for me but I think this pump sucked or didnt ;)
Anyway, I see all companies advertising. I was about WHO code & figured when I had DD I would get squat but I got free formula @ hospital & from my Ped who knew I was BFing & was a BFing advocate but I needed to supplement for jaundice.
Formula companies are full of it if they say they dont advertise.
I did BF & plan on doing it again, but Im not a BFing nazi.
The price of formula is just as crazy as a pump.
*mindy*
iVillage Member
I'm with Littlebell. I would take this article with a grain of salt.

"To summarize it, Medela’s violations consist of advertising their baby bottles and nipples. That might seem insignificant. It might even seem like it’s asking too much to have a company not advertise those products. However, it says a lot about Medela’s intent to profit off of moms in any way they can."

Medela is a company. Of course they are going to try to make a profit. How else are they supposed to stay in business? Advertising brings in profit. Just because you advertise bottles and nipples, doesn't mean that you're downplaying breastfeeding.

I LOVED rivergreens responses! Hear hear! (or is it here here... lol)
 BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member

haha Emily--on another note, why are the pumps so complicated looking or is just me? I have no clue how to work it and its not like i can try it

iVillage Member
It took me a while to figure mine out! It has all these little parts that I have to take apart when I clean it. Mine definitely not as nice as yours though!
 BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member

Thanks Emily!! i hope i use it and get money's worth. A friend of mine has the same pump i do and she said the pump is great but she is not producing a ton of milk so she is supplementing with formula also. She also said i should get Medala Halter bra.

Pages