Bringing Home Baby

iVillage Member
Bringing Home Baby
Mon, 06-20-2011 - 5:20pm

I'm a little nervous about what to expect once the baby arrives home! I know I will be investing a lot of time and energy, but it's hard to plan.

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-20-2011 - 6:19pm

This is my third time so im not

a href="http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d134/stephhastings/?action=view&current=chris11006.jpg" target="_blank">Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-20-2011 - 8:22pm

This is my third as well and the only thing I ever REALLY get anxious over is whether or not the baby will sleep at night. I know this is totally silly because I really have no control over it AND the more stressed I get, the less apt baby is to stay calm. It's really the only thing I ever really stress over.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-20-2011 - 9:59pm
Just wanted to say I COULDN'T AGREE MORE!!!!

As a first time mom, i had read all the books and wanted to do everything just right. But quickly I learned that what the books said - particularly those that say "this is the only / best way to do it or you'll be sorry later ...." - well they're crap. It didn't feel right to me, and I very quickly learned that my entire house was happier and less stressed and just worked better when I went with the flow and didn't stress about all the things books tell you to stress about (w/ a few exceptions ... I absolutely would not introduce an artificial nipple before 3 weeks because of the very real risk of nipple confusion ... it might need to be delayed longer if breastfeeding is taking some time to become well established. Fortunately I've had pretty easier nursers and both my girls had an occasional bottle beginning about 3 weeks - but usually only once a week or so and then eventually just whenever needed).

Anyway, there was an article in parenting magazine earlier this year that talked about "listening to your baby" in regards to sleep. I was so pleased to see an expert recommend this!! I remember w/ my first - until I abandoned my books - I spent so much time trying to get her to go to sleep at nap time and she wouldn't sleep!! I wasted a lot of time and was so stressed. When I finally said, "to heck with it, she'll sleep when she does" EVERYTHING GOT BETTER. And you know what she slept just fine w/o my stress. I don't stress about where they sleep either.

I was cosleeper w/ my second except for naps when she slept in the swing. Now we now she had serious silent reflux (she's four and now being medicated for this ailment she's clearly had since birth). Sleeping upright felt better to her and sleeping while nursing (which she did when cosleeping) helped her deal with the reflux. It all makes sense now that she chose the perfect things to deal with her situation and because I wasn't so concerned about whether or not I was doing everything right, I didn't let it stress me out.

Both my kids are well adjusted good sleepers, so contrary to the experts' opinions, you don't have to CIO, sleep only in crib, etc., or risk ruining them for life.

Do what feels right for you and your baby, and you'll be just fine!
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-21-2011 - 7:15am

I agree with you on the upright sleeping as well. My DD didn't have such severe reflux as yours, but she did spit up ALOT and so the Papasan was great for her in the beginning, since it was slightly elevated. I forgot to mention that when she did move to the crib, she slept on one of those sleep wedges for probably the first year...best investment EVER!

Photobucket