BTDT moms and eye exams

iVillage Member
BTDT moms and eye exams
Fri, 12-09-2011 - 5:52pm
Has anyone had one of their little ones had eye exams early on? I know they do them as young as six months now. Based on my eye problems which leave me almost legally blind, because they are inherited my eye doctor said it would be a good idea to get Carsyn in to have an appointment sometime soon. I want to get him in early because the earlier any problems are detected the better the chance for them being corrected later on but I am also nervous and worried I am worrying to much.
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
iVillage Member
Sun, 12-11-2011 - 1:09am

My 6 year old wasn't that young, but was under 2 for his first eye exam.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 12-11-2011 - 2:24pm
Thanks. What worries me his I need glasses because of my eye issues, my mother does, my sister, and almost everyone I can remember in my family does and he seems to go cross eyed ALOT trying to focus on certain things
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby
iVillage Member
Sun, 12-11-2011 - 5:51pm
It's very worth checking out. And the doctors tend to be pretty good at it. Ours uses a computer and optical camera (instead of dilation) ... and I did have to hold my kids face steady into the camera. But I think this would be hard with an infant (mine was a toddler). But I'm not sure they'd dilate an infant's eyes anyway. I highly suspect he'll look at them with the light ... check for focus (do both eyes focus on the midline, etc.).

Clearly, I've seen babies with glasses, so they must have some trusted technique for evaluating the vision of infants.

As pp said, it is very normal for young children to be far-sighted. Because my DH is legally blind and my own vision is terrible (but far better than that of DH ... but I still can basically only read the big E w/o corrective lenses), we get our kids eyes checked regularly. Last year ... both were farsighted (one was slightly less far sighted than children her age typically were but no need for glasses at that point). Next year, the one that was less farsighted than normal for her age now is nearsighted ... to the point of requiring glasses for all activity (not just reading). The other one is appropriately farsighted but does have an astigmatism ... we suspect it will not correct itself, but apparently it is a possibility. Either way, given her age and type of activity, it was decided there was no need to bother with glasses just yet ... but I suspect next year that will change.

Probably won't get the baby checked out unless recommended by pediatrician (they check basic focus, etc.) until she's a bit older (2-3 years).

HTH
iVillage Member
Sun, 12-11-2011 - 9:41pm

I haven't taken Rowan to be checked yet, but I will be doing so before he turns a year, according to the advice from my older DS's opthamologist.

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-11-2011 - 10:01pm
Thank you ladies. I've taken carsyn to my appt with me and he was so interested in everything and I'm hoping as he sees mommy go and not be scares he will not get a fear of it
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby