bummed because DH isnt happy

iVillage Member
bummed because DH isnt happy
Tue, 04-12-2011 - 2:18pm
DH and I are strapped and DH would love to have this 400 dollar crib/changing table that we saw at BRU. And since we can't afford it, even if we could save a little from each paycheck, DH is acting bummed out and not really helping with alternative decisions. We have a lot to get for the baby and I haven't thought about having a baby shower because everyone is so spread out. So we are pretty much expecting that we will have to pay for the majority of the things we will need for the baby. So what do you do? Neither one of us want to get a bassinet because DD was rather long and we expect Aaron to be a long baby too. And we really don't like any of the playards. This is so frustrating. Any ideas ladies?

Alicia
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-12-2011 - 2:43pm

How about getting cheaper crib/changing table or looking into a 2nd hand crib that's new (but get a new mattress). or start a registry and people can buy you things even if you don't have a shower? You have some time to save some $ as you are only 24 weeks.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-12-2011 - 6:11pm

Hmm...not sure on advice for the crib, but as for what to do as far as sleeping arrangements for baby...have you looked into a co-sleeper? They seem to me (even though I've never used one) that they are a bit longer than a bassinet. I've had friends who swear by them and if you are breasfeeding, it's an extra advantage because the baby's right there!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-13-2011 - 9:28am

Alicia,

Sorry about DH being upset.. Maybe he is just frustrated because he feels bad that you guys can't afford the one that he likes right now. Men get bummed over that stuff easily and instead of talking it out they seem to wollow (sp?) in it.. Hopefully he'll get over it soon and be ready to talk things out. We are in the same place and just got a cheaper crib and bassinet set that seems sturdy and nice..I don't have anything to add or suggest

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-13-2011 - 9:30am

Meant to say a crib and changing table.. not a crib and bassinet set :p

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-13-2011 - 11:39pm
I agree with goincrazymama. He might be frustrated right now. Maybe give it more time and he'll come around to cheaper brands...

We have a children's resale shop here, called Children's Orchard, that sells great quality items at a good price. Maybe there's something like that around where you live.
 BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-14-2011 - 1:32am
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-14-2011 - 9:17am
Sorry he is frustrated, I think the beauty of our kids being born in the summer (and the beauty of them being born in the age of craigslist) is you most likely can find a really amazing crib for a good deal. Maybe have a 'craigslist' night and look at cribs together? just to see what's out there.
a href="http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d134/stephhastings/?action=view&current=chris11006.jpg" target="_blank">Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-14-2011 - 9:05pm
That is one thing that bums me out. I have looked at craigslist pretty much every night and found nothing. No bassinets, co-sleepers, playards, or cribs. And we do have one baby thrift store but it never carries baby furniture. Just clothes and toys. I love Once Upon A Child but unfortunately we have to travel a few hours to go to one. That is one thing I miss about Minnesota. There were a ton of Once Upon A Child stores in the Twin Cities area.

We will figure out something eventually. I am going with a friend to some city wide garage sales here in a couple of weeks to see what we can find.
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers