Getting ready to be discharged...feeling very anxious

iVillage Member
Getting ready to be discharged...feeling very anxious
Sun, 07-24-2011 - 11:06am

ugh...I knew this day was going to be hard. I'll be discharged after lunch and even though I will go up to spend some time with Jackson before I leave, I just don't want to leave him!! I'll be back first thing in the morning, but it's just not the same. On the other hand, I really miss the other kids so I know it will be important to be home for them.

The good thing is that they were able to wean Jackson down from 45% oxygen to 29% overnight. Room air is 21% so he doesn't have much further to go before he could maybe be weaned off the oxygen hood. And his respirations look a little better. I'm really hopeful that maybe over the next couple days he can be weaned off all of the support and then just take a couple of days to be monitored off of all the support and learn to feed and everything (because right now he's only getting nutrition via IV). I know that there can be setbacks, but I am just REALLY hoping that we are on the right road and maybe my little one can come home at the end of this week and not next. Keeping my fingers double crossed : )

Photobucket
iVillage Member

I'll keep my fingers double crossed for you too.

Photobucket
iVillage Member

It appears that there was some excess fluid in his lungs, which is common with CS babies because they don't have the oppurtunity to squeeze it out during labor and delivery. On top of that, he has a heart valve that would normally close at birth, but didn't due to the excess pressure in his lungs from the fluid. Right now, he's slowly getting rid of all that so that he will be able to breathe regularly and the valve will close on its own. This morning, he was doing pretty well and I just got back from a visit and he's down to 24% oxygen and he even got a tiny bit of formula through a tube...so if he keeps up all this good progress he'll be home in no time : )

Photobucket
iVillage Member
I had my first daughter at 39 weeks and since she was full-term, it never occurred to me the possibility that I would go home without her. It was so tough. I was at a hospital where the nurses were not so family-friendly and they kept encouraing me to just go home and rest and sleep and "enjoy it" take advantage of the "highly paid babysitters" which is one called herself Honestly, I just so hormonal at the time I don't think I could think straight, but looking back now, I think it is so frickin insensitive to act like I'm lucky that stranger got to take care of baby as if I was going to home sound asleep. She was this giant baby among these little premies and it made me so sad. In my case, it was easier and tougher because seh was my first. On on hand, it was easier because I literally could be there during all the waking hours; on the other, it was tougher because I felt extra guilty and like I HAD to be there even though it was a really unwelcome place. In your case, I think you're right...that you should try to be home and give your other kids some time too. They probably really confused about why he's not coming home and what's going on with him. The truth is that he is in good hands (even if some of my nurses were insensitive) and soon he will be home.
 BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member

Yes, it was really hard yesterday and last night but I was really glad to have my other two at home because if I was just sitting here I think I would have gone nuts. Luckily, they were being their super sweet selves and wanted lots of mommy time which I was more than ready for. The nurses in NICU have been really great, telling me to call whenever I want (which I did right before bed and then right when I woke up this morning). They did say that since I had the CS that I should take it easy and not feel like I "have" to be there...but one of the nurses must have caught the look I gave her and said "Of course, we can tell you that but I know if it was my baby I'd be here just like I know you will be." The plan is for me spend either every morning or afternoon out there and then I can call as much as I want to when I'm home. Yesterday was hard, especially crying in front of strangers. I wanted to spend a bit more time with him once I was officially discharged, but I was so upset that I figured if I didn't leave then, I probably wouldn't leave at all. SO is bringing me out there this morning and they told me that they've been giving him a little bit of formula every 4 hours so I'm hoping maybe they'll even let me feed him today or something. I just want to hold him!

Photobucket
iVillage Member

It sounds like he is doing a lot better.

Lilypie - Personal picture
iVillage Member

KUP on how baby and how you are holding up?? Just keep the faith that he will be home soon. (hugs)

iVillage Member

I spent a VERY nice morning in the NICU with Jackson. He was doing much better (only 23% oxygen) but didn't tolerate room air when they tried him, so he's still under the hood and they'll try again tonight. They did tell me to not be surprised if it takes him awhile to wean off that extra 2%. I was able to feed him a few cc's of formula while holding the oxygen mask (talk about multitasking LOL) and then I got to hold him for over an hour which was so nice. He opened his eyes for me and I had forgotten about that amazing feeling when your baby's staring at you during feeding as if you are the most important person in the entire world. He fell asleep right after feeding and stayed asleep for the rest of the time. When we put him back in his little bed, he even stayed asleep for two more hours so I think I have a pretty good sleeper on my hands. The nurses commented that he tends to be pretty feisty during the day, but sleeps almost all night when it's quieter. Yay!!! Maybe he can keep that up at home : )

So, I was sad to leave him when my mom came to pick me up, but since he had such a great day I was able to do it without crying this time. I know he's in good hands and that makes leaving him a little easier.

Photobucket