Gift for nursing staff (this weekend)

iVillage Member
Gift for nursing staff (this weekend)
Sun, 07-03-2011 - 6:17pm

I ran by L&D yesterday with a gift.

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-03-2011 - 7:52pm

i have read about this RECENTLY.. 15 yrs ago i never heard of this so of course i had nothing. I didn't buy anything now. i'll be there a day and half. I have never delivered a baby at this hospital, nor have i had to go there ONCE this pregnancy for any reason (i know you have been at your hospital many many times) or have even met any nurses that will be at my hospital UNTIL i am ready to have

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-03-2011 - 9:10pm

I have to say that I tend to "intend" to do it, but after the birth, things are so crazy... the first one I just dropped off a gift bag of chocolates.

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-03-2011 - 10:15pm

i have only had the one child and i just heard of giving nurses' gifts recently never heard of this until this pregnancy.I know its hard work but i do know many nurses and they make good money ..I don't get gifts in my line of work and my work is hard too.

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-03-2011 - 10:52pm

It's DEFINITELY not standard. I'm not planning on doing anything but i think its a nice gesture and everyone likes to be appreciated!!!

a href="http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d134/stephhastings/?action=view&current=chris11006.jpg" target="_blank">Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-04-2011 - 1:38am

I wonder if maybe it is more prevalent in certain areas... or even if it

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-04-2011 - 12:24pm
To me the gift to the nurses is something like a tip ...

I left the hospital very quickly following the birth of my 2nd child in part because it was a holiday weekend and the nursing staff was scarce ... and essentially not available for me at all (not a first time mom, didn't really need a lot of help ... I was taking care of myself in the hospital and decided to just go home and take care of myself there instead). So I honestly never even thought of a gift.

For my first, I hadn't really heard a lot about gifts for nurses, but I'd just done a big project for the largest hospital group in the city I lived in though so knew that notes of recognition and praise - where copied to supervisors especially - were very appreciated. So I did write a few notes of thanks and recognition for one of my mom / baby nurses (only one really stood out). But my L&D nurses were terrible imo, fighting me the whole time on my birth process.

We'll see how it goes this time. I'm at a point in my life that I certainly don't have time to put in a lot of effort, but if I have a great experience, I'll write a note or two and might send a cookie bouquet.
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-04-2011 - 12:53pm

I have been on a tour of the LD wing earlier so I would know what to expect...the nursing staff was extremely friendly and calmed me down (this is my first).

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-04-2011 - 2:50pm
I have never heard of gifts for the nursing staff. I guess I could see it for long term care but not really for just labor and delivery. If I was in the hospital for awhile or the baby was, I definitely think it is appropriate to show my appreciation.
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-04-2011 - 6:25pm
i agree, i think it's a really nice gesture...but i didn't do this last time and i don't know anyone who ever has. i know people who've given small gifts to nurses at their dr's offices but my dr's office is big and rather impersonal...so i won't be doing that.
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers