How do you deal with the comments?

iVillage Member
How do you deal with the comments?
Mon, 06-27-2011 - 2:10am

First of all, Good Luck to all the mommies due in July!!

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-27-2011 - 4:58am
ahh I'm sorry. I also am working up until i deliver and so i am constantly getting funny comments. The other day i was getting a soda at a gas station before i went to work ( i go there a lot) and the the lady said "wow you look bigger every single day" and her male coworker started scolding her. i honestly thought it was funny. it was said with good intentions..... kwim? it just came out horribly wrong. so i usually just give people the benefit of the doubt.
a href="http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d134/stephhastings/?action=view&current=chris11006.jpg" target="_blank">Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-27-2011 - 9:46am

I know, it sucks.

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-27-2011 - 11:16am

You know, I think for me, it really depends on the mood I am in whether or not it bothers me - and the comment.

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-27-2011 - 11:31am

Sorry you have to go through that with comments. I really never get any negative comments at all. People just say i am carrying "small" which is funny because i am 5 4 and overweight (about 30 pounds over to start preg from where i should be). I have never looked huge pregnant but i am not a skinny girl either. I have gained just 14-15 pounds so baby is all baby :) I think people don't know what to say though so they just put their foot in their mouth..If i looked "big" though, i don't know if i'd be bothered by comments. At least while you're pregnant, you have an excuse lol...

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-27-2011 - 12:31pm
You sound just like me! I'm short, carrying very low and beach ball-like very in front, due July 22nd but having a sched c-section July 15th, and people are constantly saying things. Not meanly or in a negative way, but I get comments and questions regularly. Honestly, it doesn't bother me at all. I know what I look like, what I feel like...so really, it's ok for me. People have thought I was having twins all along (I'm not), and my belly has dropped a lot in the past couple of weeks which makes the big low belly look even more "serious" and so I get "are you due any day now?" all the time. Actually, for me it's mostly women who comment and some men...but men mostly just look, LOL!
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-27-2011 - 12:33pm
Well I'm short too (5 feet tall in the morning). And this is my 3rd baby. And I certainly get my fair share of similar comments.

At one appt I was actually measuring big (apparently due to baby's position because 2 1/2 weeks later I measured smaller and a sonogram had already shown a normal sized baby and no excess fluid). But I did ask the perinatologist who did my sonogram why I was SO BIG ... and he said, " I don't think you look that big. I think you look short."

So I've used that to some degree. Well I am short ... imo and experience, if you can make the other person feel a bit stupid or insensitive then they realize they were out of line to begin with.

And to be honest, the comments don't bother me that much. I am 8 1/2 mos pregnant. I am short. It is my 3rd pregnancy (and this looks to be my biggest baby).

But in addition, to stating the obvious - that I am short. I sometimes (with family in particular) let them know that I'm not measuring big - measuring right on target, so they're perception must be off.

But in general my advice is just let it roll off your back. You'll deliver soon enough and can get back to your smaller framed self shortly thereafter :-)
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-27-2011 - 1:03pm

OK... no clue how to stop the comments... I won't even WEAR this one dress to work anymore

pregnancy week by week
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-28-2011 - 9:01pm

I'm sorry it's bothering you so much.

Photobucket