How's your holiday shopping coming along???

iVillage Member
How's your holiday shopping coming along???
Sun, 12-04-2011 - 7:02pm

For the first time ever, I am nearly done with my shopping in early December. The only things I have to get are some gift cards that I could pretty much get at the last minute. I finished the kids and I am really proud of myself that I stuck to my budget and have not gotten them anything after the moment I said "I'm done!". Normally, I start wrapping and feel like they don't have enough. However, I always end up going crazy because they get so much stuff that we don't have room for it. I figured I would let the grandparents go crazy this year and I would just stick to the few things I got.

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member

Good for you on getting it all done and sticking to things.. I'm afraid I haven't even started yet!! :smileysurprised: Alot depends on my dh having a job after x-mas.. If he doesn't it may be slim pickins this year.. :(

Photobucket
iVillage Member
WTG on getting stuff don early and staying in budget kudos!!!

We do not do christmas in our house, but we celebrate with my parents , sister and grandma. And I do not go into excessives buying gifts, we actually stopped exchanging gifts years ago. My parents buy the kids a few things but nothing over the top.

We are the ones who give to them and we do not ask for anything in return.........only a noce dinner at moms and spend time with them.

Our gift for them is groceries. We stock everyones freezer that will last 6 months. We by chicken (whole and breasts) beef (roasts, hamburger, etc) and take it down to them. Food is the most expensive thing they need to buy (or one of the top money drainers) food costs so much, so by us filling their freezers helps free up money for bills or medicine.

I will take mom, sis and grandma to the grocery store and they get what they need for the pantries. Mom and grandma dont get too much becuase grandma lives alone and it is just mom and dad at home.

My sis on the other hand has 2 boys and loser piece of sh!t husband who is worthless (he sits and collects disability and plays games all day eating every damn thing in the house but will not clean or anything) i get her more. I make sure she has the pantry staples to make meals with, and whatever it is she needs.

THat is how we do not celebrate xmas if that makes sense?
I figured if I want a $10 trinket or sweater i can buy it myself.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
I have done most of my shopping and have most everything else picked out. We have a budget for the kids and I might go over it by $10 this year unless one or two things go on sale.

I still have to decide what to get DH. He like gagets, electronics, photography and wine so I have lots to go on but I just need to find something.

Megan is getting a couple small things and mostly teether items since she just wants to put things in her mouth. She is going to get a couple taggies items, the dog and probably a blanket.
iVillage Member

I like to be done by September, and have been done by April in the past, but I'm still not quite done this year.

Photobucket
iVillage Member

Wow, April?? That's impressive!! I realized today that we may have to skip buying for our parents this year, which I feel terrible about, but I just got the excise bill on my new car, our first water bill since buying the house AND a bill for a $500 co-pay from when I was in the hospital with Jackson. I just don't have any extra money, now!! I'm sure my own parents will understand...but SO's parents will just be comparing us to their daughter who always spends hundreds of dollars on everyone and makes me feel inadequate.

Photobucket
iVillage Member

I hate even grocery shopping from Thanksgiving to New Year's so I like my shopping to be done by then.

Photobucket
iVillage Member

That would be nice, if I could ever get SO's family to agree. They ALWAYS overspend and then I feel like such a stooge for giving them some $20 thing. My parents are giving us a Lowe's gift card this year to help finish the basement and my grandfather is buying us the lumber to start putting walls up. Those are both big gifts, but extremely helpful and I know that they don't expect us to reciprocate in any way. SO's parents, on the other hand, will buy us something idiotic that we don't need. Last year, I got a Kitchenaid mixer and new luggage. I have zero counter space and we don't travel!! It's just frustrating because I almost feel like they do it just to make me uncomfortable.

Photobucket
iVillage Member

I never go overboard anymore for christmas and this year esp since we are low on funds. We got Jenna a few toys which we really didn't need to get because the families are getting her tons of toys and gift cards (for clothes hopefully). DH and I aren't exchanging gifts. Teen gets cash. We bought gift cards for only my mom, my sister, DH's father's gf's granddaughter, DH neice and nephew. We will go to DH families for the holidays and bring wine and desserts. That's it.

iVillage Member
Liz i would get your inlaws a gift from the heart. I think one year my sisters and i gave my mom a treasure box of our favorite child hood memories. you could do a gift of treats...and give them a treat a month for the year (brownies cookies, ect)
a href="http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d134/stephhastings/?action=view&current=chris11006.jpg" target="_blank">Photobucket
iVillage Member

Your family sounds like mine.

Photobucket

Pages