How's your holiday shopping coming along???

iVillage Member
How's your holiday shopping coming along???
Sun, 12-04-2011 - 7:02pm

For the first time ever, I am nearly done with my shopping in early December. The only things I have to get are some gift cards that I could pretty much get at the last minute. I finished the kids and I am really proud of myself that I stuck to my budget and have not gotten them anything after the moment I said "I'm done!". Normally, I start wrapping and feel like they don't have enough. However, I always end up going crazy because they get so much stuff that we don't have room for it. I figured I would let the grandparents go crazy this year and I would just stick to the few things I got.

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member

Well, thank you, but I just bought each couple a gift certificate to go to dinner at one of their favorite restaurants. My mom has banned me from getting them anything, so I took some artwork the two oldest made and framed it. At least I know that she'll appreciate that kind of gift. SO's mom would probably sell it at a tag sale.

Photobucket
iVillage Member

OMG.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member

Well, I will tell you a little story about handmade gifts and this family and let you all be the judge on how they receive them.

When DS1 was a little over a year old, I was already pregnant again and SO wasn't gettin much overtime at work. We were really strapped, so for Mother's Day, I took a bunch of pictures of DS1 and turned them into a digital slideshow for both our mothers.My mother LOVED hers. His???

Her reaction was "What am I supposed to do with this?"

Photobucket
iVillage Member

Your family sounds like mine.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Liz i would get your inlaws a gift from the heart. I think one year my sisters and i gave my mom a treasure box of our favorite child hood memories. you could do a gift of treats...and give them a treat a month for the year (brownies cookies, ect)
a href="http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d134/stephhastings/?action=view&current=chris11006.jpg" target="_blank">Photobucket
iVillage Member

I never go overboard anymore for christmas and this year esp since we are low on funds. We got Jenna a few toys which we really didn't need to get because the families are getting her tons of toys and gift cards (for clothes hopefully). DH and I aren't exchanging gifts. Teen gets cash. We bought gift cards for only my mom, my sister, DH's father's gf's granddaughter, DH neice and nephew. We will go to DH families for the holidays and bring wine and desserts. That's it.

iVillage Member

That would be nice, if I could ever get SO's family to agree. They ALWAYS overspend and then I feel like such a stooge for giving them some $20 thing. My parents are giving us a Lowe's gift card this year to help finish the basement and my grandfather is buying us the lumber to start putting walls up. Those are both big gifts, but extremely helpful and I know that they don't expect us to reciprocate in any way. SO's parents, on the other hand, will buy us something idiotic that we don't need. Last year, I got a Kitchenaid mixer and new luggage. I have zero counter space and we don't travel!! It's just frustrating because I almost feel like they do it just to make me uncomfortable.

Photobucket
iVillage Member

I hate even grocery shopping from Thanksgiving to New Year's so I like my shopping to be done by then.

Photobucket
iVillage Member

Wow, April?? That's impressive!! I realized today that we may have to skip buying for our parents this year, which I feel terrible about, but I just got the excise bill on my new car, our first water bill since buying the house AND a bill for a $500 co-pay from when I was in the hospital with Jackson. I just don't have any extra money, now!! I'm sure my own parents will understand...but SO's parents will just be comparing us to their daughter who always spends hundreds of dollars on everyone and makes me feel inadequate.

Photobucket
iVillage Member

I like to be done by September, and have been done by April in the past, but I'm still not quite done this year.

Photobucket

Pages