I was SO right in saying pregnancy tired is NOTHING to newborn tired!! lol

iVillage Member
I was SO right in saying pregnancy tired is NOTHING to newborn tired!! lol
Mon, 07-11-2011 - 9:11am

I have gotten about 10 hours sleep in a week since birth of baby. I can't nap all day with baby (not my nature esp. w/visitors and the breast feeding --i have to express constantly- -have so much milk and it's painful!).. Baby sleeps around 2am/3am to maybe 5/530 then feeds, then sleeps a good amount (i will have to do this_-problem DH and DD will be getting up at 6 and 7 am every day so i will be woken up by them... My eyes are so puffy..I need to get cold pack to put around them.

iVillage Member

This is what terrifies me about coming home with baby!!! I always get such anxiety over the lack of sleep, which I know is silly because I KNOW it's going to happen-nothing I can do about it-but still just have major panic attacks over it. And I'm the same way you are, I can't ever nap during the day when baby is sleeping! Guess you and I can be in the same boat next week when I bring mine home.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sleep is definitely precious and it is completely wrong that at the end of pregnancy it is so hard to get a good night's sleep. I will be in the same position as you. No naps during the day since I will have my 3 other kids at home unless someone is there to help out. I used to not be a big napper but this pregnancy has cured me of it. I hope that when I get my chance to nap after the baby is born, I will be able to take advantage of it.
iVillage Member

LOL..I didn't even take into consideration the fact that my older two would make it pretty much impossible for me to nap even if I could. Oh well...I just live off of Dunkin Donuts for the first month or so : )

Photobucket
iVillage Member
So sorry you're having a rough time adjusting. My other kids are really young so we don't have a choice ... we just get up and get out (at least did with my last one when my oldest DD was 2 1/2). I will say that it was harder to get motivated to get out with both kids because I still had to do so much to get the 2 1/2 yo ready too.

A couple things I really do find useful: let DH and your older DD handle the housework. That's their job. Your job is feeding the baby.

Sleep during the day - at least one nap. I remember with my oldest (when I didn't have another baby to entertain), I took a nap every afternoon for about 1-2 hours. I'm not a big napper either, but I was tired and found that it was ok. I'm not afraid of cosleeping, so i also recommend that, but I know that it's not for everyone.

Take baby outside for some sunshine each day (yes use the sunshade on the stroller, etc) but I remember reading before the birth of my first that sunshine (just like for adults) can help baby get their internal clock straightened out between night and day. And it did seem to help both my girls. It could have been coincidence, but I still enjoyed the early morning / evening walks (it's 110 degrees outside midday right now where I live, so midday is out of the question for us ... but midday might work quite well for you).

Don't pump too much while you're expressing to relieve the pressure ... just enough to relieve the discomfort. As you know, milk supply is hormonally driven in the early days but quickly switches to a supply / demand function. If you pump a lot of extra milk your body will read that as "needed milk" which long term will not allow you too much relief from the extra milk.

If baby is nursing well, just pump enough to relieve the pressure / discomfort and improve initial latch. I know i used to nurse very frequently (sometimes every hour) to deal with the early oversupply because I hate pumping. Really. Almost never do it unless I need to use a bottle, which is usually just once a week or so in the fall.

When you do start bottles, if you want to continue nursing directly as well, make sure your DH uses paced bottle feeding and only the slowest flow nipple (the entire first year) or baby can develop a bottle preference and resist direct nursing. Just keep in mind that even if your DH takes the feeding, you'll still need to pump to make up for missing the feeding ... so sometimes it's just easier to nurse directly (imo).

Given the age of your older DD, I really hope you can follow the classic advice of "rest when baby rests". Even if you don't think you can sleep, if your body gets tired enough, you might be surprised. Always try ...

The first weeks are the hardest! It gets better fast. Hang in there!
iVillage Member

Thanks everyone!! Good advice.. I know "this too shall pass." :)

iVillage Member
Yup... this part of newborn-dom terrifies me. I already sleep like crud because of my 2 and 4 yr old (well, my 4 yr old sleeps well... my 2 yr old still likes to greet me nice and early), so I am NOT looking forward to the sleepless nights again.

I also want to smack the you-know-what out of those that say "sleep when baby sleep". OKay, how the hell do I do that when I have a 2 and 4 yr old to take care of???

On the bright side... this too shall pass. I dont know about you. but this is our last child, and a part of me wants to embrace every moment of every single stage.
Photobucket