Just curious why some moms have their babies very early on and some go overdue?

iVillage Member
Just curious why some moms have their babies very early on and some go overdue?
Wed, 06-29-2011 - 5:15pm

This may seem like a dumb question and maybe no answer (just that everyone and every pregnancy is different)

I seem to be the type who gets to 40 weeks or later (first child at 40 exactly and it looks like Jenna will be the same or later), yet some women only go to 37 weeks and naturally labor. Is it just that my body doesn't want to go into labor or dilate like everyone else as fast? Maybe its a medical mystery. haha..

HOw about women who never go into labor on their own ? Just weird to me that we are all so vastly different,

iVillage Member
My OB asked if I went on time with my other 2 children because it's genetic??? If you go overdue with the first, chances are you'll go overdue with the rest. My first DS was 12days overdue but has a different father than DD who was right on time...so he figures I'll be right around my due date and the fact that I was overdue with DS is no predictor of this one because of having a different father.
After being 12 days overdue with DS I thought I had one of those bodies that just doesn't go into labor...so when I went into labor with DD I was surprised and happy! This time I'm just impatient and anxious!
Photobucket
iVillage Member

I think the doctor would probably say: "Every Pregnancy Is Different" Ha!

I happen to think that there is a reason for most things, but also that we really do not know a lot of the reasons for things.

I really think that the amount our OBs know about pregnancy is limited.

iVillage Member
I believe that at least part of it is genetic. My mom had really fast labor deliveries. She almost delivered me at home because it happened so fast and they induced my mom with my younger sister so my dad was able to be at the deliver since he wasn't able to make it in time for the others. And I also have very quick labor and deliveries.

My doctor says that the best indicator of what will happen for this pregnancy is past pregnancies. I have no idea why the longest I have carried my kids was 38 weekds (1 - 34 weeks, 2 - 36 weeks and 6 days, and 3 - 38 weeks). It would be interesting to understand how it all works.
iVillage Member

so funny because i don't take after my mom with pregnancy and labor AT ALL.. She had 4 months each preg of vomiting all the time. I just had nausea for 3 months or so each one. She had quick and easy labors and had all kids early (first --15 days early, second (me) 8 days early, third - (5 days early). Me --difficult long labor at 40 weeks first child. This time probably same or after due date... And she had NO stretch marks and i got horrible ones with first child. She had no problem with big babies (i was 9, sister 8.6, brother smallest at 7 6). Me-- could hardly get a 7 lb 9oz baby out and mom is much smaller than me (but i think she has better birthing hips lol). so genetics not always true.

iVillage Member

When it is not a doctor or mother choice of timing, and there is no other external condition involved - for instance an infection, medication,lifestyle, or something similar - I would guess it is genetics... but whose?

iVillage Member

i know the baby's father (DH) has nothing to do with it..(IMO). He was born early at 36 weeks and was only 4 lbs 13 oz..this baby will be much bigger --in line with my first daughter (with a diff father). I sure DON"T take after my mom with this stuff.