Keeping the weight off

iVillage Member
Keeping the weight off
Mon, 07-18-2011 - 7:48pm

Ok I really need to try to keep any potential weight gain OFF.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-18-2011 - 8:24pm
Well keep in mind that actually requires more calories to breastfeed than to grow the baby. The average mom who is exclusively breastfeeding burns an extra 500 calories a day.

So snacking is actually a really good idea. But obviously do what you can to keep the snacks healthy. I had a harder time losing the weight after my 2nd than after my 1st - in part because I don't think I was as careful with my diet.

While weight watchers does have a program for breastfeeding moms, it's still generally not recommended until after baby is AT LEAST 6 weeks old. For me, getting active (even inside exercise with baby is good) and just choosing healthier food options has proven to be the key.

Even after baby #2 when I finally got serious about not eating ice cream and sugar all the time, I did actually start to lose the weight. Exercise was also key (I have a treadmill so I can work out even when it's hot outside, but I know many, many moms who hit the mall before business hours to "mall walk" with their babies ... so maybe that's an option for you if you feel you need some activity.

I understand the restrictions of the heat - I'm still pregnant with #3 and our actual temp has been above 100 (and as high as 110) for the last month and a half.
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-19-2011 - 5:07pm

Hey! Congrats on your new baby and breastfeeding!

I would not worry too much about it yet.

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-19-2011 - 5:23pm

Yeah i agree River. I am very hungry now that i am breast feeding..I am down to 178 lbs but my good weight is 150 (160 the most)..I can't worry about it now..I am too hungry to lol..