Name help/advice

iVillage Member
Name help/advice
Wed, 05-04-2011 - 9:55am
So my df and I finally agreed on a girls name but I need some help/advice on the middle names. Her name would be Harlow (which also happens to be MIL's last name, which is cool) but we would like to honour 2 other relatives with middle names. Name choices being : Barbara, Lisa, kathleen, Nancy. I only want two middle names at most and I'm not sure which names sound best together. Please help! " Harlow_______ ________ Cooper"
Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-04-2011 - 10:06am

I like the middle name of Kathleen.

Lilypie - Personal picture
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-04-2011 - 11:19am
Well I guess I need to be a bit more specific lol... I need one from each side of the fam. Both lisa & kathleen are from my side, barbara and nancy are from DF's. I am also thinking kathleen is one of the best sounding options but I'm undecided about the order/with which other name.
Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-04-2011 - 11:21am

How about Harlow Kathleen Nancy Cooper?

Lilypie - Personal picture
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-04-2011 - 5:28pm

No good at name advice! but have you considered maybe not duplicating the name exactly?

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-05-2011 - 10:52am
I have a similiar issue in that i need to make both sides happy but my problem is I have issues with the names I have to choose from! they aren't all prettey and my husbands side has nicer names then mine...but if i only use names from his side I'll have offended mine! I think I'll have to be strong and say my child my choice but i know the guilt will eat me up that i didn't please everyone....does your family care which name is given in what placement? like is the 2nd name more imp. then the third? I like the combo of Harlow kathleen and since you can't do Lisa I like Nancy better. cooper..They are all pretty so you can't go wrong!
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-08-2011 - 2:47pm
I like Kathleen the best out of the names. I think Kathleen and Nancy go together well. Harlow Nancy Kathleen Cooper. Good luck with your decision!
 BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-09-2011 - 3:39pm
Must you use the names exactly? Couldn't you use a similar name in honor of the person?

I just don't feel that Barbara, Lisa, Kathleen or Nancy go well with Harlow. Harlow has a much cooler vibe, and even your last name does, but Barbara, Lisa, Kathleen and Nancy, just sound like children of the 50 and 60's to me.

Maybe like Analiese, instead of Lisa
Katherine/Catherine or Kate instead of Kathleen
etc.
For example, my grandmother was named Zeida (pronounced Sayda) and it just so happens we liked the name Sadie, so we named our daughter Sadie in her honor, even though she wasn't named exactly after her. My husband wouldn't agree but I had long liked the name Eden and wanted to name her in honor of an aunt name Edna.

If you are open to variations, Nameberry has some really prolific namers there and could you alternatives to honor these family members but flow a bit better with Harlow Cooper.

BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-09-2011 - 4:36pm
Hey ladies,
Thanks for your input. I really love the idea of having middle names that are more modern and sound better however my DF will not go for it! He feels that if your honouring your family (which is an absolute must in his opinion) it would be insulting to not use their actual name.... *sigh*
Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-09-2011 - 4:42pm
Well, at least you got the first name you wanted. To be honest, to me, middle names are throw away names. I mean, you want the name to flow, but nobody ever uses them unless it's a double name outside of birth announcements, wedding invitations, and I suppose when you are really angry at the kid.

Being that you limited, I would definitely use kathleen first.
 BabyFetus Ticker