Tis the Season For Cold and Flu............ what is your back up plan?

iVillage Member
Tis the Season For Cold and Flu............ what is your back up plan?
Wed, 11-02-2011 - 9:43pm

Ok I was thinking :

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member

When I'm sick I usually take baby to bed with me, and we nurse, nurse, nurse. When mom or baby is sick the best thing you can do for baby is to nurse because baby needs those good antibodies that are in mama's milk.

My DH actually is really good about taking care of things though, and he'd definitely take the baby if she wasn't sleeping and was keeping me from resting (or would call his mom to do so). But usually I can manage the baby if someone can entertain and care for my older two children.

I did have food poisoning when my youngest was a bit older our July babies but was still nursing regularly. I was actually visiting my in-laws. They kept the baby downstairs and played with her and then brought her to me every 2-3 hours so that I could nurse her, which I would do lying down.

When my 2nd baby was a year old, I got a terrible stomach bug (that the baby had just had and her bigger sister had the week before so I wasn't worried about either of them getting it). My DH was out of town, so it was me, a one year old and a 3 year old. I could barely stand up, but you just sort of do what you have to ... we watched a lot of movies and all slept in one bed for days. The bug lasted like 5 days, but I was feeling a bit better by day 3. I remember that I got out of bed and was able to eat some fruit that day. It was a doozy of a bug ... I lost more than 5 lbs, and I'm not a big person to begin with. It was nearly 5 percent of my body weight!

There aren't many drugs that will affect your milk supply, btw. If you take a decongestant or birth control pills those things CAN affect milk supply, but most things are just fine to take while nursing.

iVillage Member

LOL...when the cold and flu season hits, my biggest worry is what to do when the KIDS get sick! SO can't take much time off from work and while I do get lots of sick time as a teacher, it's very hard because making sure you have everything prepared for a sub is hard and I hate to have to take lots of time off because it makes the class crazy. A friend of mine once mentioned that it would be awesome if there was a daycare that took care of kids when they were sick so moms and dads could still work.

Of course, you have to realize that I'm speaking from the perspective of a parent who had to take 10 days off for her son last year due to illness, and those weren't even counting the days he was home with either SO,a

Photobucket
iVillage Member

I have a sinus infection right now, started 2 days ago, and when I get a sinus infection it gets really bad really fast.

Photobucket