Torticollis?

iVillage Member
Torticollis?
Tue, 02-28-2012 - 9:58am
They diagnosed Carsyn with this around two months old and the treatment never worked. Now he is being referred to physical therapist and the whole works =[ has any one ever had experience with this with an older child?
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
iVillage Member
In reply to: cheyfri
Wed, 02-29-2012 - 6:35am

I'm sorry...I'm not familiar with torticollis. I Googled it because I had never even heard of it! I'm sorry that your little guy has it. I really hope that the physical therapy can work. For what it's worth, two friends of mine had to have their children in physical therapy because their necks were affected from sleeping in a car seat for too long, but they are both fine now. I know that's a little different than what Carsyn has, but hopefully the PT works just as well as it did for them!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-29-2012 - 10:02am
I don't have any experience with it and had to Google it too. I hope the physical therapy helps.
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-01-2012 - 4:40am
I'm from the August board, but wanted to say my little one had torticollis. They also diagnosed her around 1-2 months old. Dr said I could wait or be referred to physical therapy right then. I said I could wait, but then a week later went back in for the referral. She had pretty bad torticollis. After about 3 months of physical therapy, she was released from therapy....since she was "cured" :) At times during therapy I felt like there was no way she could ever get rid of it. I amazed at how she is now compared to when we started. She had her left ear laying on her shoulder and chin turned to the right. She also couldn't turn her head to the right much at all. Now she is straight as an arrow, and can turn her head all directions... lol. What treatment did you do that didn't work? I still make sure I do all her physical therapy exercises at home every so often, even though we are no longer in therapy.

luvmy4kids Made with My Cool Signs.Net

&

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-01-2012 - 9:32am
We were doing neck stretches in the morning. But just never cut it. Thank you so much for responding. His is not as bad but VERY noticeable. I just want him to be healthy.
 photo siggy2.jpg

baby
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-02-2012 - 11:50am
I know how you feel, it's tough seeing them not hold their head the way they should. We also do the stretching for therapy. I was surprised when the physical therapist told us that it is even more important and more work to strengthen the other side of the neck. (The opposite side that needed stretching). The side of the neck that the head is tilted towards is overly "strong" and the other side is too weak (that needs more strength to pull the head upright or in the correct position. We did/do lots of exercises that make her use that side of the neck muscle that is weak. sorry for my rambling, good luck :)

luvmy4kids Made with My Cool Signs.Net

&