Weaning already????

iVillage Member
Weaning already????
Sat, 10-01-2011 - 1:27pm

Molly is 3 months old today and I think that my milk supply is really low.

Lilypie - Personal picture

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-01-2011 - 4:29pm
Faizan is doing the exact same thing!! He will fuss and cry when I try to feed him. I do not give formula though. I think they are getting into a routine and do not need to eat ASAP when they wake up. He will ovioulsy cry when he is hungry.
You are NOT a failure trust me. You are doing wht is best for Ms, Molly. If need be consult a Lactation Consultant, maybe they can shed some light n the issue.
I love Mothers Milk tea.............I can pump 2-3 times a day if need be. Don't give up yet...........maybe she is teething?? Or maybe she is uncomfortable laying in your arms for some reason........???
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-02-2011 - 7:10pm

Abbie is doing the same thing for some reason and it's driving me nuts..at some times I think she's not hungry and other times it will be like I am just not making enough... I refuse to give her formula right now and just continue to nurse her even when she feels like she is just using me as a pacifier, or as a giant teething toy.. I'm sure you'll do what's best for Molly and your sanity, even if you have to offer her formula sometimes it doesn't mean you have to entirely give up breast feeding. Though I find that if baby is frustrated, and you get

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-03-2011 - 6:37am

*hugs* It seems to me that around three months is when a lot of babies go through a growth spurt marked by a lot of fussing and wanting to nurse...and wanting and ... Anyway, it could be just htat...

In regard to pumping, I have never had a lot of luck on that score.

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-04-2011 - 1:27pm

Jenna is the opposite..She prefers breast over bottle all the time. Even now when i am not around, she will wait for me to get home rather than take a bottle. She loves the breast!! She will take bottle in morning and afternoon but at night when fussy if i am not around, she refuses and start screaming (happned last night). Feedings are ALL on me which is stressful although i do enjoy breastfeeding so much

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-06-2011 - 12:57pm

Eve just started doing this over the past couple days and even when dh said give her a bottle of formula I just kept trying and after a few minutes she finally latched on.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-08-2011 - 10:43pm

Thank you ladies!!!

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-10-2011 - 11:00am

Well I have given up!

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-10-2011 - 9:35pm
Babies don't actually self-wean before a year (and very few truly self wean before 2 years). What you are describing sounds very much like a nursing strike though. They are very challenging and some can last longer than others.

Your pumping output sounds pretty good (the average mom can pump 1-3 oz / both breasts combined ... so you're right in the middle there). Babies don't need HUGE breastmilk bottles ... about an ounce an hour (actually an average of 25 oz / day, according to the body of research). So it doesn't sound like supply is really the issue. More likely the faster / easier flow of the bottle is preferred.

There are tips / suggestions for dealing with a nursing strike, if you're interested. But if you're comfortable moving mostly to bottles, obviously that's fine too. Nursing certainly doesn't have to be all or nothing and some moms find partial weaning (aka as combo feeding) works very well for them.

Good luck. let me know if you want any info on dealing with nursing strikes.
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-11-2011 - 10:37am

Sure I will take some suggestions.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-12-2011 - 12:53pm
Here's info on nursing strikes:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/back-to-breast.html#strike
http://www.lalecheleague.org/faq/strike.html
http://drjaygordon.com/breastfeeding/nursing-strikes.html

There's substantial info out there and you can google more, but these are some of my personal favorite resources.

Pages