What are your plans for maternity leave, etc?

iVillage Member
What are your plans for maternity leave, etc?
Tue, 05-03-2011 - 11:40pm

I finally just had a more detailed discussion with my boss today and felt such a RELIEF to get some planning done.

What are yalls plans for leave? Will you start your leave before the due date / labor? How long will you be out after & any "easing" back into the work routine?

Pages

iVillage Member

I'm actually a bit worried about the amount of time I'm taking. Originally, I didn't feel any issues with having the baby at end of July and then be back to teaching end of August. It's my third one and I have never had a super long maternity leave. With this plan, I'll have a good 6 maybe even 7 weeks if I go early. Plus, school gets out on June 17th, so I will have about a month at home before baby comes to get some rest and organizing done.

Then, the first bomb dropped. I got told right before April vacation that I'd be moving to the middle school. I'm not opposed to changing grade levels, it's just the fact of having to pack everything up, set up a new classroom and get acclimated to a new school all while having a newborn. THEN the second bomb dropped. Now, they think they might loop me up to third grade (I teach 2nd now) but they haven't made a decision yet. With the end of the year fast approaching AND with me in the process of trying to close on a house where I have to keep asking for extensions becasue I haven't gotten USDA approval....I'm starting to get a little stressed out. I would just like to know where the heck I'm going to be so I can make some sort of plan and I have to say that even though I am fully aware of how seniority works and I am last on the totem pole, I am feeling a little resentful that they are expecting me to just pull off this switch and have everything ready 6 weeks after giving birth.

Wow...sorry, turned into

Photobucket
iVillage Member

I absolutely understand why you'd be so frustrated not knowing what IS going to happen, and also knowing you might have to deal with a lot of things.

iVillage Member

For my maternity plan (just solidifyign it now), I am most pleased with the time off BEFORE the baby--

iVillage Member
I will be working right up until delivery. I envy you for the 4 weeks off before birth! That would be fabulous! My job is pretty flexible, though, and I am already starting to move into working from home as much as possible. I am swelling a bunch and my OB threatened me with bedrest unless I start taking the swelling seriously. I delivered DS 5 weeks early largely due to swelling and pre-eclampsia issues and I don’t want that to happen again. If for some reason I have to go on bedrest, I will use short term disability for that and not my maternity leave.
For my maternity leave, I will take 12 weeks paid and then an additional 8 weeks unpaid. With DS I took the full 12 weeks paid, 12 weeks unpaid that my firm offers. But this time around I have not been as good about saving up for those 3 months without a paycheck! Assuming I deliver after July 15 (July 20 is EDD), I will go back to work Dec. 1.
Photobucket
iVillage Member

I'm in Canada where we get a full year so I feel very fortunate.

iVillage Member

Well, I did get some good news today. Looks like some other changes will be happening and they are giving me the choice of moving up only one grade level, which will at least still be in my school. I'd only have to move things down the hallway : )

Unfortunately, in teaching (and especially during these awful budget times) there isn't a whole lot of negotiating you can do. I'm feeling pretty lucky I still have my job so I couldn't really do much. I mean, they can move you wherever they want, whenever they want...so I guess I'm fairly lucky in the fact that now I only have to go down a hallway!

Photobucket
iVillage Member

I am also in Canada and consider myself very, very lucky to be allowed a 1 full year maternity/parental leave.

I am off work now, as of last week, my OB took pity on my back pain and also knows I have a very physically demanding job...so he put me off on sick leave.

Photobucket
iVillage Member

take it for what its worth as i have a teaching background but switched to nursing and am waay happier.............but middle school is WAAAAAAAAY better than elementary IMHO.

a href="http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d134/stephhastings/?action=view&current=chris11006.jpg" target="_blank">Photobucket
iVillage Member

Yea, I honestly wouldn't mind doing middle school, but for me the option to stay in the same building as my own kids is a little easier for me. Now I won't need to worry about what to do with them in the mornings and afternoons since they would be on a different schedule. It probably would have meant having to pay for some sort of child care in the morning because their school would start an hour later.

Photobucket
iVillage Member

I am getting the normal six weeks and I plan to work until my last day. Hopefully i can make it..LOL

Photobucket

Pages