Working Mommas- When will you tell??

iVillage Member
Working Mommas- When will you tell??
Tue, 11-02-2010 - 3:28pm

I was just wondering for the momma's that work.Are you planning to tell work/boss right away??

I am not sure when i should tell, maybe after my first appt?? I just started a new job in July, so i am still the new girl...not the best timing..but when is "right" to let them know you think???

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-02-2010 - 4:14pm

Personally, I'm going to wait until 12 weeks.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-02-2010 - 4:17pm

I think waiting the 12 weeks sounds good..i have a big mouth but i can try.LOL

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-02-2010 - 4:23pm

Leave it as late as you possibly can - until you start showing, possibly middle of the secod trimester. Many reasons for this:

1. There is a huge bias against moms and pregnant women in the workplace. See this study.

2. It's not relevant info for anyone, and as long as you're giving them a long enough notice of your maternity leave it simply doesn't need to be brought up. 4 months notice is waaay long enough!

3. It will help you resist the urge to talk about your pregnancy at work with your coworkers, which is another thing KNOWN to make women be considered less competent and less worthy of raises and promotions by their coworkers or bosses.

It's a sad fact of life, ladies, but pregnancy and after giving birth we will need to fight double hard to be taken seriously at work.

Of course, you know your workplace best and you may be lucky enough to work someplace where the people are fair minded and supportive... in which case go right ahead and share the joy! But if in doubt, just know that telling might harm you while not telling cannot possibly hurt... it's definitely the safest route.

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-02-2010 - 4:43pm

I am a part-time faculty member at a large university.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-02-2010 - 6:51pm

I've already told my Manager, actually she was the 2nd person I told. With that said, she already knew I was trying because she is trying too, so she knew I was going to test that weekend. However, she hasn't told her boss or anyone else. I probably won't let her tell him until closer to the 12 week mark. Like a pp, last time I told everyone at work right away and then miscarried so I'm not doing that again. I had only been with the company for 5 months at that time and they didn't have a problem with it. Every employer and industry is different so it depends on yours....it will help if I let my employer know a little sooner because our audit plan is done a year in advance and so for me it probably requires a little more notice that I'm gonna be out for 2 months or so.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-02-2010 - 8:26pm

Good question, I am already starting to wonder about that.