Working mommas--Who will take care of your LO?

iVillage Member
Working mommas--Who will take care of your LO?
Wed, 03-23-2011 - 12:10pm

I am home now and will be hopefully until this baby is 9mths old at least (if i can stretch my savings i hope to

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-23-2011 - 12:17pm
We currently have a nanny for childcare for DS. I am a lawyer, but work a reduced schedule. But many times I am at the whims of clients, so we've found that a nanny provides the most flexibility (DH is a lawyer too, but not on a reduced schedule).

I looked into an in home daycare in our area (Dallas) but they were all booked up with 2 year waiting lists. I was shocked!

I will be taking 6 months off with this one (same with DS).

Childcare is very hard - good luck in your search!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-23-2011 - 12:42pm

Jen,

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-23-2011 - 12:48pm

April, i am not working right now. I had my DD15 in daycare from 2 yrs old on. I stayed home with her until her 2nd birthday (and finished college - at the time it didn't pay for me to work since i didn't make very much). Same daycares are still open in my area that my 15 yr old went to. lol When i had my 15 yr old i had no paid maternity leave (you could take a certain amount of time off but it was unpaid). In U.S. it depends on company, but usually you get 6-12 weeks paid --that's it. I know Canada you get a year off and can keep your job. That does NOT happen in U.S. ever. I wish we had that here in U.S. That's a nice feature of your country i will tell you that!

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-23-2011 - 1:06pm

Roxy, yeah it pays to have a nanny if you are a lawyer. I am a legal assistant so i know how crazy busy lawyers can be!!

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-23-2011 - 1:11pm

Yes, I must say that I'm really glad to have the year off...I feel it is a very important time to spend with your new little one.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-23-2011 - 2:05pm

I will be staying home with Carsyn for as long as possible...not sure how long that will be though...then my ex's aunt has her own at home daycare where Carsyn will go when needed...

photo siggy2.jpg

baby
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-23-2011 - 3:10pm

This is a hard one.

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-23-2011 - 3:28pm

I'm fortunate to live in Canada too, where I can take advantage of a full year mat leave.

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-23-2011 - 8:48pm

Oh my that is a lot of money!! I must have lucked out with my provider because everything I read says people are paying over $200 a week for each kid. I pay $130 a week for DD (that will be the same price for LO, she doesn't charge more for babies) and when both DS and DD were going it was $200 for both of them. Guess I won't ever complain again!

We've been using the same provider since DD was born. It's a home daycare and the woman running it has been doing it for over 30 years. I went to school with her son, so I know the family and she is just terrific with the kids. The LO will also be going there, unless I get laid off. We've already decided that if I were to get laid off (which is a likely possiblitiy this year) that I'll take the first year off with the baby and then go back to teaching when he's one. Luckily, my day care lady will have openings again next fall if I need to that. I'm almost a little excited at the prospect of being laid off. Yes, it will be a bummer financially but we can make it work and I'd get to have all that special time with this baby that I never had with the other two.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-23-2011 - 9:02pm

I guess the costs depends on where you live. I am in Phila, PA. I am sure Calif and NY and CT would be more but i am not sure. It's expensive for the infants but i don't think i am putting this baby in day care until she's 1.

Pages