Future of our kids education with cuts - RANT

iVillage Member
Future of our kids education with cuts - RANT
Sun, 04-24-2011 - 9:53pm

This might seem off-topic, but it really is not.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-25-2011 - 6:58am

Thanks for speaking up for teachers, River! It's hard to explain to some people how detrimental all these budget cuts are. I realize that money needs to be cut SOMEWHERE, but somehow it always seems to be education first. I know it's not always the case, but it seems to be in lots of cases.

I live and teach in Massachusetts and one thing that they are trying to do now is to tie teacher evaluations to students' progress on tests such as the MCAS. I have a severely difficult time believing this is fair. I'm not saying there shouldn't be teacher evaluations to weed out some poor teachers (and I know they are out there) but it seems that tying it to student progress isn't fair. I know some people will say "Well, isnt' it a teacher's job to make sure their students succeed?" Yes, of course we want all students to succeed, but the grim reality is that not every child is going to progress. Some of them, quite frankly, don't WANT to learn and a teacher can pour her heart and soul into trying to breakthrough to that student and it just doesn't happen. It's sad, of course, but it does happen. Especially when there is zero support at home towards anything regarding education.

Another example is the fact that we all obviously teach in different societies. Put it this way, you could have a fantastic -teacher who teaches in an inner-city, is up all night trying new and fun lesson plans, works tirelessly to teach her students the information they need to pass this test and they still fail. According to this new proposal, she'd then be fired because she'd be seen as a "failure" when stacked against her students' test progress. On the other hand, you could have a perfectly good (or maybe even bad) teacher in a wealthy town where there is lots of money to be spend on educational tools and there is almost always an involved family backing both the student and the teacher. This teacher would be just fine because her students will almost always show progress.

Like I said before, I completely agree with having evaluations for teachers. There are job evaluations in any other career that you could have. However, I think we need to stop and realize that charting progress on ONE test is not exactly the way to do it.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-25-2011 - 12:43pm
That sounds awful! :( I haven't heard anything like this going on in Missouri, but I'll have to look into it...

I try to keep up with what's going on politically, but it is all pretty depressing. I just hate how corrupt everything seems to be.
 BabyFetus Ticker