Hospital wont let us videotape

iVillage Member
Hospital wont let us videotape
Tue, 07-05-2011 - 11:40pm

I never thought I would want this so I had never asked, but both my oldest and youngest are wanting to see the birth.

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-06-2011 - 8:02am
I am sorry you can't video tape the birth. I have no idea about the rules for video taping. I would personally guess that the hospital doesn't want you video taping in case anything doesn't go as planned. I would ask you doctor and see if he has any ideas on how to get permission to video tape.
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-06-2011 - 10:10am

It's liability.

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-07-2011 - 9:26pm
I know. This policy stinks! Gotta love the good 'ole liability issues. I am having a c/s this time, and they won't even allow us to take still photos of the surgery! I really wanted that.

I know this sounds underhanded, but do you have a phone that has a video camera in it? Your DH or someone else there with you could inconspicuously turn it on as the baby is being born... I thought about having DH sneak this as well in the OR.... I have heard if it being done on other EC's. Hmmmm....
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-07-2011 - 11:59pm

My

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-09-2011 - 10:59pm
I video taped my 2nd baby's birth (except the part when I was in the bathroom because we just had the camera on a tripod and if I wasn't in bed I wasn't on screen). It was no big deal. But my new midwife made a big deal about it this time and said we probably wouldn't be able to do it.

I told her we'd done it before and she tried to imply that it was because my previous midwife (loved her and miss her so much - wish she could have waited one year to retire) was a big rule breaker. But I explained that I wasn't actually delivered by my midwife because she was out of town for two days ... during which my baby was born.

Anyway, she tried to say that it was a liability thing, but my DH is actually the head attorney for the physicians group she works in ... which I told her. I explained again that I'm pretty sure it wasn't a big deal but would ask him to grant a waiver if in fact a new policy had been put in place. We haven't discussed it again. I think we're just going to show up with our camera and see what happens (DH says the hospital which is managed by someone other than the university my DH represents) might have a different policy (I need to follow up with him on this). But quite frankly I'm still hoping the midwife that delivered my last baby is actually on call this time too ... sadly while I don't dislike my new midwife, I just don't have any great bond with her. She seems very "sterile". Whereas my former midwife was mother earth incarnate and the one who delivered my last baby was just so warm and friendly. I would have chosen her to replace my retired midwife, but she couldn't get me in for a first appt until I was 14.5 weeks along ... and being 36 and planning a trip across country at 9 weeks, I really wanted to get in earlier (particularly since I might have had a drink or two on vacation if I hadn't been pregnant or had lost the baby early on ... obviously glad that didn't happen, but I just wanted to know for sure).

Anyway - maybe you can be a little sly. If they allow still camera shots, perhaps your DH (or another family member that you've invited into L&D) could put the camera on video mode ... all my digital cameras that just look like snapshot cameras do have a video mode too ... and get video at that crucial time. Just a thought. Good luck.
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-10-2011 - 1:11pm

i didn't even want to tape anything this time just because i was so distracted with all the medical staff and everything. Honestly glad i didn't. After birth, the room looked like a horror movie with all the blood everywhere. So focused on the L&D that i forgot about taping. I taped my first labor and after baby born and i lost the tape moving. I am going to tape her now at home..

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-10-2011 - 4:35pm

I have never really desired to tape before, myself.