How do you feel about....

iVillage Member
How do you feel about....
Fri, 01-21-2011 - 8:52am

... Breastfeeding in public?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-28-2011 - 6:07pm

I'd like to know how everyone feels about a toddler nursing in public.

Are mothers who nurse toddlers the ONLY people accepting of nursing a toddler in public (and not all such moms are anyway)

?

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-28-2011 - 6:39pm

I have to say being a mom who is still nursing their toddler, I would have no problem seeing a mom nursing their toddler in public. However, I can tell people get uncomfortable, and since my LO can have goldfish or cheerios if we are out and she is hungry, I wait until we are home or in private at family's house before I nurse her now.

Lilypie
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-29-2011 - 11:56am

Given that I have had whole discussions about whether or not it was okay to nurse my three month old I'd have to say that there are probably even more people that are uncomfortable with seeing a toddler nursing... part of it is that we as a society are uncomfortable with the notion of toddlers nursing AT ALL.

I think that people are uncomfortable with anything that is not common.

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-02-2011 - 10:30am

I have zero problems with nursing in public, i don't openly expose my breast

a href="http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d134/stephhastings/?action=view&current=chris11006.jpg" target="_blank">Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 02-05-2011 - 6:13pm

I really don't have a problem with it at all. The only time I have been REALLY uncomfortable was when I was at the park with my kids this past summer and a little girl who was heading into kindergarten with my son told her mom she was thirsty and mom started nursing her right there. Now, don't misinterpret! I wasn't uncomfortable with the actual nursing. It was more the fact that this little girl was 5 years old and while I'm not one to judge, I felt that was a little old. Especially because my son and a couple other children who were there were just gaping at her. I felt embarrased for her, but it didn't seem to affect the mom or daughter one bit. To each, his own I suppose.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-24-2011 - 2:20pm

Wow 5 yrs old! My daughter said she doesn't want to see my breast feed. She thinks its gross but then everything is gross to her! I told her i won't do it in front of her either go upstairs or she can go elsewhere.

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-24-2011 - 8:22pm

Yea, it was a little uncomfortable. Funny thing...kind of off topic, but today when I asked my DS what he wanted to drink for breakfast he said "mommy juice"!! I nearly died. He must of heard his aunt or someone refer to it since she's the only one he knows who is breastfeeding right now.

Photobucket