How do you feel about...

iVillage Member
How do you feel about...
Fri, 11-05-2010 - 8:31am

...drinking caffeine during pregnancy?

(HealthDay News) -- Women can drink a cup of coffee or one soft drink a day during pregnancy and not worry that it might put them at risk of miscarriage or preterm birth, according to new guidelines released by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.

Read the entire article here-
http://www.ivillage.com/moderate-caffeine-intake-safe-during-pregnancy-experts-say/4-a-229488?ice=iv:mb:msg:kp

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-08-2010 - 9:29am

As someone who had a miscarriage a couple years ago, I'm not risking it. It's not worth it to me :o)

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-09-2010 - 8:16am

Also as someone who had a miscarriage in Jan'08...I'm not taking the risk either.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-11-2010 - 11:03pm

Just to have a viewpoint from the other side (part way):

The medical guideline I have seen was that it should be under 200mg a day, and that research for higher amounts is mixed - some show a connection and some don't (to miscarriage and low birth weight), but nothing for lower than 200mg.

What is funny is that these articles

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-14-2010 - 8:56pm

I would say as long as you don't overdo it, it's fine.. I, personally, don't really drink caffienated drinks anyways, I'm more of a juice/milk/water drinker, so I don't, but I don't when I'm not pregnant either!

babies
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-19-2010 - 4:13pm

I usually drink 1 small cup of coffee a day till about 6 weeks when MS hits and I cant stand the smell of it. For the next 6 weeks I can drink nothing but ginger ale and lemon water. After that I do drink 1-2 coke's a day - I try to make one of them caffeine free but I cant give caffeine up completely. I dont drink coffee at all though while pregant - cant stand it! Towards the end I am addicted to crushed ice and mainly eat ice all day..

Sherri

Wife to Joe and Mom to:

Reagan 9/19/94,  Garrett 3/15/2000, Nik 12/30/2004 and  Chase 11/09/2006 and Shawn   10//28/08:

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-21-2010 - 11:34am

i have 1 small cup of coffee at work -- i only work mon, wed & fri -- but i drink TONS of water all day long.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-26-2010 - 8:18am

I have had a mc in the past so with my last pg I cut out caffeine completely for the first tri. I then found that I get migranes while pg. Lovely. So my doc put me back on a small amount of caffeine per day to combat them. With this pg, I drink one serving of soda a day. For some reason Dr. Pepper is a great migrane cure! And I stick to an 8-12 oz portion.

If you love your coffee, try switiching to an espresso based drink, there is actually less caffeine in espresso than in brewed coffee because the water sits in the filter basket longer (in brewed coffee) thereby increasing the caffeine content. Just a little info I found! :)

parker siggy
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-26-2010 - 2:04pm
awesome piece of info!!! i knew that espresso has less caffeine (my hubby's a crazy espresso drinker, haha!) but i never remember it when i'm getting my coffee. after i posted that i still drink 1 cup at work the 3 days a week i'm at work, i changed my mind. i've had 2 m/c's in the past and i feel SUPER DUPER nervous about this pg, so i decided to play it safe and stop all caffeine.
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Sun, 11-28-2010 - 12:13am
I drink a can of coke a day. Before being prego, I drank more. However, I've cut down and have started drinking sprite or ginger ale instead. Oh, btw orange soda is normally caffeine free as well. Another substitute :)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 12-05-2010 - 3:50am

I'm a big morning coffee drinker...but I've switched to decaf. I think I really just like the taste of having coffee first thing in the morning. So I just have a small cup of decaf in the morning. I've been drinking a lot of water, and occasionnally will have some sweet tea. I've been drinking a lot of orange juice this week since I've been sick. I think a little caffeine is fine. With my first daughter, I had this obsession with glazed over ice. I would pour a cup of sweet tea over packed ice. Drink the sweet tea fast...then have beautiful glazed over ice to munch on after that...and it didn't hurt anything!