Legal ban of circumcision proposed - 2 states.

iVillage Member
Legal ban of circumcision proposed - 2 states.
Fri, 02-25-2011 - 11:17pm

These two articles caught my attention (possibly because of my dream - note that while I do not circumcise my sons, it is

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-26-2011 - 7:58am

Well, considering that I live in one of the states where this bill has been proposed (Massachusetts), I figured I'd weigh in. I've never had particularly strong feelings one way or another about circumcision to be honest. When we had our first son, my SO felt very strongly that he should be circumcized because my SO's parents had waited (for some unknown reason) and then did it at teh age of 8. My SO was, understandably, traumatized by this so he just wanted us to do have DS done at birth. Not that I necessarily think that's the best reason for doing so, but like I said he felt really strongly about it and I understood. We're planning on having this LO done for the same reason. Plus, who knows if he'll end up wondering why he's different than his dad or brother.

While I've never been a strong supporter of it or totally against it, I truly believe it's every family's choice.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 02-26-2011 - 11:28am

I think the interesting thing about seeing the articles was that it made me think about how I think of circumcision...

For me, the medical benefit is similar to if I were to remove my breasts so that I would not get breast cancer.

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-26-2011 - 5:04pm

Argh!!! You're making me do more deep thinking than in my educational philosophy class!! LOL...it seems to me that I haven't ever heard of too many medical needs for the procedure. I'm sure there have been some and I'm sure there are plenty of people who would deem in medically necessary. I guess I just felt it was one of those things that I'd let SO make the decision for, especially since he seemed to feel so strongly about it. However, in the same token, if he were to say to me that he DIDN'T want to do it-that would be fine with me.

Photobucket