Rant--on american health insurance costs and salary freezes :(

iVillage Member
Rant--on american health insurance costs and salary freezes :(
Tue, 06-14-2011 - 9:49pm

Well today we found out that DH's health ins. with his work is now GOING UP in premium once again so now after adding baby on the plan it will be $461.00 every four weeks..He just takes home a little over that per week and hasn't had a salary increase since spring 2008!

iVillage Member
I have to agree that health insurance costs are outrageous. Sadly for our family of - soon to be 5, we pay nearly $1000 / mos. There is no subsidy for dependents on health insurance (only for the employee) so it costs a lot. We're actually looking into the possibility of private insurance for the rest of the family because we're all young and healthy, while many of the employees covered by the company my DH works for are old and of retiree age ... making the premiums even more expensive. Basically, we think we might do better on our own, given our youth and health.

I hope breastfeeding works for you as well. One thing to keep in mind is that even if you have to pay a couple hundred dollars for a board certified lactation consultant to get you started (which can see onerous), it's mere pennies on the dollar compared to the cost of formula for a year.

As for your DH, I'm not sure what his skills / talents are - but he should quietly start looking for jobs elsewhere. I know the job market is not ideal, but there are many fields that are in need of employees. He might just get blessed with a fabulous new job and new salary. You never know ...

If a new job is out of the questions, your DH might approach a pay increase in terms of small percentages and address it as a necessary cost of living adjustment, as opposed to a merit based raise (which is often a larger percentage of overall salary). My DH actually had to take a 2 percent pay cut a year ago ... but his company is trying to give everyone a 2 percent cost of living increase (although technically my DH would still be 2 percent low, given the fact that he gave back 2 percent of his salary a year ago - only executives were asked to take a pay cut so not everyone in the company). Still every bit helps.

Good luck. I hope you all can find some good news on the job front soon.

iVillage Member

I'm a teacher and we are in pretty much the same boat right now. We recently voted to keep our insurance premiums the same (phew!) BUT our co-pays have gone up. Since I have two (soon to be 3) little ones, I'm thinking that between prescriptions and doctor co-pays it will add up to costing me just as much as it would have to increase the premiums, but oh well. The other thing that stinks is that this new insurance plan is in effect July 1st and it now carries a $250 inpatient co-pay where we didn't have any co-pay for that before, so now I'll have an additional bill of $250 to pay once the baby comes.

We vote on our new contract on Friday and they are proposing to give us a 0% raise, which I guess I can live with. It's only a year and they'll revisit it and I know there are lots of people who do not get a raise every year (like your DH). The thing that is annoying me the most is that they are offering us 0% and yet they still want to take other things away from us. They want to cut our prep periods (where we plan, correct and copy), they want to increase our amount of monthly meetings, they want to mandate us to update a website every day with assignments (which I think is a nice idea, but also takes time that they are taking from us) AND they want to decrease the number of our professional development days. The last thing is probably the most controversial because even though people always whine about the PD, it's good because it gives us free PD points that we need in order to recertify. If they take those days away, we'd end up having to pay for our own workshops and courses and going to them on our own time.

So, my main gripe is that if you are offering us NO incentives, why do you think it's ok to just take more and more from us?

Photobucket
iVillage Member

iVillage Member

He would have to wait to look for another job when i am back to work and in a somewhat secure position. There's really no such thing in the private sector though. Employers just fire people left and right anymore.

iVillage Member

I feel so sad for you ladies.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this.

Photobucket
iVillage Member

i can't get private ins (have too many pre-existing conditions --reflux, allergies, back and neck issues). I always get denied so i have no choice. The baby will cost another 100 dollars so i'll just keep her on the plan and she will need better insurance being a newborn. Thanks for listening :)