Rant - Inconsiderate co-worker

iVillage Member
Rant - Inconsiderate co-worker
Tue, 05-03-2011 - 11:26pm

Well to start with, I am a phlebotomist at a Women & Children's hospital. Almost all of our patients are either pregnant women, women with cancer, and children. I work midnight shift so it is just me and one other phlebotomist, and I don't think she's all there to begin with.

Anyway, on nights (and in general) we have probably at least 5 patients a night who are miscarrying or at least at risk for miscarrying. We get a report of the reason the patient is there before we have to go to the ER to get there blood and anytime a report says miscarriage or possible miscarriage I ask her to please go get it for me. Not necessarily because I am uncomfortable with it but because I think it would be really mean of me, an obviously healthy pregnant woman, sticking someone who is losing there baby. Everytime I ask her she gives me this look like she has no idea why I keep asking her to do it for me, even though I explain to her everynight.

Well last night I went up to L&D for a patient and a nurse stopped me and said that for my sake and the patients she was just letting me know that she was about to put in an order for blood work on a patient who had just lost her baby and was in her last month. So once I got back down to the lab I told my co-worker and she just half listened to what I was saying. Then the order printed out and I told her that was the patient I'm not suppose to go see. She just sat there. A few minutes later the nurse called down asking why she hadn't been up there yet since it was STAT and the nurse tried to explain to her why they didn't want me in her room and she STILL acting clueless! I'm not sure if she's just really stupid or if she is that cold hearted but it's really starting to piss me off!

Thanks for listeningn to my rant! I feel much better now!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-04-2011 - 9:44pm

I obviously do not know the details that you do, but I don't think you should be blaming yourself.

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-04-2011 - 6:03pm

Wow! She must really have been giving other people a hard time also. I mean, especially what you said last night. If you were given specific orders to NOT attend to that patient, that should have been enough of a reason for her to go and do her job!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-04-2011 - 2:23pm

OMG

Lilypie - Personal picture
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-04-2011 - 11:25am

Thanks for listening ladies!

I feel a little bad now for complaining about her so much, but apparently I'm not the only one who has had a problem with her. They fired her at work this morning. How strange is it that I get so frustrated at her that I make a post about her and the next morning she's gone?! I do feel bad for her getting fired but at least I don't have to deal with that anymore.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-04-2011 - 7:24am

Wow...I'd hate to think anyone could be that clueless OR that heartless. You're obviously not trying to get out of work, you're just trying to be tactful. The incident last night should have been pretty obvious to her, I'd think.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-04-2011 - 12:04am

Always feel free to vent :-)

MAYBE this woman really doesn't get it- but it sounds like it's been explained to her clearly many times!! Can you speak to a supervisor or manager about it? Not necessarily to "complain" but to express concern and "check" if you are right in your assumption about how the situation should be handled, and that if so, the manager should make it clear to this other woman how she needs to respond!!!

But how wacky that she doesnt understand!!!