Rant...can't breathe and can't take anything for it!!

iVillage Member
Rant...can't breathe and can't take anything for it!!
Sat, 05-14-2011 - 12:17pm

Ugh...I have SOMETHING going on. My chest is in so much pain, I can barely breathe and Icannot stop coughing (which, TMI, is causing me to think I have to go get some Depends if you know what I mean). I called my OB to see if I can take anything for allergies, but she said it doesn't sound like allergies because I don't have the nasal congestion or watery eyes. She thinks it's something else and told me to call my primary. Well, my primary is generally wonderful and if I wasn't so uncomfortable, I would have been fine with the fact that he told me it's probably viral and if it hasn't gone away by the end of the week to call back. BUT he told me I can't take anything.

I seriously won't last another week like this! I'm tempted to go to ER...but didn't want to be overly dramatic. So I guess I'm going to just lie around in bed and hack up a lung all weekend!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Uhhh, I honestly think your dr's crazy! I got pretty sick w/ bronchitis when I was pg w/ my son and I have asthma. The dr clearly told me that if I can't breathe, the baby can't get enough oxygen. They put me on antibiotics and inhalers for my asthma, to breathe better. If you have a viral infection, unfortunately there's not much to do but let it run its course. However, if you don't know that it's viral then I say hit up the ER! I'm not an alarmist type at all one bit, but you're VERY pg and it's better to be safe than sorry. I hope you feel much better very soon!
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member

Ugh....I just got back from the ER and they were SO rude!!!! I told them that my OB thought it was probably bronchitis or even pneumonia and to call my primary, who basically told me to wait it out. And I told them that I'm coughing so bad that it's hard to get a deep breath and their response was that it would be hours because there were 15 patients ahead of me and that time frame would get even longer if they had any ambulances come in. Basically, they made me feel like I was bothering them. I decided to go home and that I'd go back in the morning if I wasn't any better and then I cried the whole way home because I just want someone to take me seriously. I know I'm probably being a bit dramatic, but how are they to know if it's something serious without checking me. And also, wouldn't you think that a pregnant lady saying she's having a hard time breathing be sort of a trigger to get her in a lot quicker than say someone who twisted their ankle while playing soccer (just one of the patients in the waiting room).

Photobucket
iVillage Member

I had a bad cold/bacteria infection. I took theraflu. Doctor told me that was fine (OB) and said i could use mucinex etc..and eventually when i didn't get better, i got a Z-pac and i got better. I had a bad cough (mucusy) for a while. Hope you feel better. My primary dr wouldn't treat me since i was 29 wks pregnant at the time. No one looked at me--just talked to me over the phone. You can take Robitussin cough syrup. They told me i could. I don't know why they said you can't take anything.

iVillage Member

Well, that's what was bugging me because I THOUGHT the last time I got a bad cough when PG with DD they told me I could take Delsym, but this time they said no way. SO had some Hall's cough drops in his truck so I took one and miraculously, the cough subsided for a bit. Now I just have to go look those up to make sure they're ok. I mean, I know they're only cough drops but you never know. At least I don't feel like death!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
OMG how disgraceful & awful! *NOBODY* deserves to be treated that way, nobody! And certainly not a woman in your "condition" walking into the ER. Seriously, I contact the chairperson of the hospital and give them HELL! Wow, that's totally inexcusable. Notifying you of a long wait time or other options you might have is one thing, but the way you described their treatment is seriously unacceptable! You can definitely take things...but personally I wouldn't choose to self-diagnose or pick a medicine without knowing exactly what's wrong (I don't like to treat symptoms...rather than the root/actual illness). I have a printed-out list from my dr of all the different types/categories of meds that are ok to take while pg. I've always been a bit skeptical about cough drops b/c like you said, you never know. I hope you're starting to feel a bit better. Please KUP...I don't know where you live but I know by me, if I didn't like what one ER/hospital had to say, I'd go to another...and another.
iVillage Member

I did have a printed out list of safe meds, but I think it got lost in all my mortgage paperwork...anyway, went to my primary today and he did diagnose it as bronchitis but STILL didn't want me to take anything unless I wasn't better by Wednesday. He also wants me out of work until I'm 100% better because he's worried it will turn into pneumonia, which is super frustrating because there is so much to do at the end of the school year but I'm not going to risk anything.

Talked to my OB and she said he was being silly about not prescribing me anything. She told me to take some Robitussin today and then call him again tomorrow saying he needs to give me an antibiotic and/or an inhaler to help with breathing and that if he argues, he can call her. Glad I have her on my side!! I think regular doctors just freak out when you're pregnant and don't want to prescribe you anything for fear it will cause a problem.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
i DO.NOT.LIKE your dr at all!!! i think he's making a VERY big mistake! not that i'm a dr or medical professional...but i've been through bronchitis way too many times in my life, and like i said before i had it when i was pg w/ my son. it's nothing to mess with and it can turn into pneumonia easily. my OB told me i HAD to see a regular dr when i got sick and they didn't hesitate one bit to prescribe permitted antibiotics and an inhaler. can you go see another general practitioner somewhere who's better? all this fumbling around and you poor lady, it's not fair to you!!! if you take robitussin, make sure it's PLAIN robitussin and not any of the others (ie. DM, CF, etc)
iVillage Member
If you have nasal congestion, my former OB recommended Neosynephrine (nasal spray). The meds don't get into the bloodstream as much as those taken orally, and they work directly on swollen sinus tissue. I used it early in pregnancy this time around when i had the flu.

I saw in your other post that you got a z pack, which is a good med if you have a bacterial infection going on (obviously it won't help if you do have something viral). But I can tell you with my first pregnancy I got bronchitis and ended up coughing so hard that I actually began rupturing blood vessels on my cervix.

My OB prescribed me a z pack. It's a category B drug I believe and is generally considered safe.
iVillage Member

Rupturing a blood vessel in your cevix?? OMG.....owwwww comes to mind! Yes, I'm hoping the z pack works. I don't have any nasal congestion, so that's good. Just a whole lot of hacking going on : )

Photobucket