Smoking During Pregnancy Could Boost Baby's Chances of Being a Criminal

iVillage Member
Smoking During Pregnancy Could Boost Baby's Chances of Being a Criminal
Fri, 11-19-2010 - 8:12am

Pregnant smokers be warned; research suggests you might have to visit your bundle of joy in lock-up one day. That's right -- the latest I-can't-believe-they-researched-that study concluded that women who smoke heavily during pregnancy have a 30 percent greater risk of having kids who grow up to be criminals.

Smoking During Pregnancy Could Boost Baby's Chances of Being a Criminal- http://www.ivillage.com/smoking-during-pregnancy-could-boost-babys-chances-becoming-criminal/6-a-299756?ice=iv:mb:msg:kp

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Far more concerned about the increased risk of prematurity and SIDS. That said smokers just don't care about their own health already, so it doesn't matter if the rest of us are concerned for their babies or not lol!
mysig

iVillage Member
Alright, I didn't actually read this article, but I do want to comment on this theory. I went to college and have a degree in child development and family studies. My senior year thesis was basically on this type of "research" and how many times there are variables that cause the result they get... for example, in this article... the third variable that they probably don't look into or put emphasis on is the amount of time the mom spends with the child. Now, all of us can say that we either don't smoke, quit when we got pregnant, or have cut down. Women in this study who smoke heavily throughout their pregnancy obviously did not go out of their way to improve their lifestyle for their child's benefit. So what would make you think that they would raise them properly, making sure to spend time teaching right from wrong, good from bad, etc... these mothers from the beginning did not cherish the life they were creating... make sense? It has nothing to do with the physical act of smoking during pregnancy, but rather the mothers commitment to raise her child... sorry if this rambles or makes no sense. I'm still dealing with this first trimester fatigue and am about to go to sleep, so my brain is only 1/2 here. But studies like this irritate me when the researchers make it look like a causes b, when really c causes b and c is nowhere in the study!
iVillage Member

Nicotine is one of the most addictive drugs out there, certainly amongst the legal ones.

iVillage Member

Excellent points! I did go back and read the article on ivillage, and also the link to the study (which didn't give the whole study, just the abstract). This study was started 60 years ago, which leads me to believe u are right, women didn't know how harmful smoking is to an unborn child...
I also know good people who smoke. I know people who went from a pack a day or more to under 2 a day when they were pregnant. What I wrote last night didn't sound like the nicest thing to say, but the study was women who smoked over a pack a day. I do believe that if you aren't making an effort to cut back, it does a little bit of forecasting about the type of parent you are going to be or are able to be. However, since 60 years ago these women probably weren't warned against smoking as strongly as they are now, river is right that they didn't know.
My issue with studies like this is that they aren't talking about these variables (ie economics as river stated). People will read the ivillage article and think that because they smoke during pregnancy, their risk to have a criminal child increases. I completely disagree without this! Too many other factors!
iVillage Member

iVillage Member

My mom smoked while she was pregnant with me and I'm a good girl... that had asthma that's thankfully been dorment since I moved away when I was 17 (2nd hand smoke sucks). I don't know what truth there is to this study's claim but I definitely know smoking while pregnant leads to a lot of issues. My big brother was preemie, my sister has suffered some severe issues in life, and I would have had a baby brother but his life ended in a late-term miscarriage.

iVillage Member

There are recent studies that show smoking inhibits a small frontal portion of the brain that controls impulses,and your ability to reason. So chances are you will be less likely to say no,or not do something you know you shouldnt be doing.